Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1959 Chevy Apache

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2023, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1959 Chevy Apache

Rear Ends

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Ends

Subscribed
Search this Thread
Go to 1st Unread
extremewhitetail , Today 2:34 AM
CF Beginner
Hey All,
I'm new to restoring trucks and appreciate sites such as this very much. The expertise is second to none if you ask me. With that being said I have a question.
I have a 59 Apache I am restoring just for a driver and date night with the wife. I have a 79 Camaro rear end (2.41), the original rear end and a 65 Chevy rear end (3.73). Not sure the gear ratio on the original. I would like to have 5 lug axels due to the many options of rims. What rear end would be the best to place under this 59 Apache? Thank you guys!
Old November 20th, 2023, 7:39 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

I got this from the internet. I hope it helps you.

3.42 Vs. 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio, Which One Is Better?

The best gear ratio for you is dependent on what you’re looking to get out of your vehicle.

If you do more of regular city navigation and normal highway driving, with the occasional heavy-duty stuff, the 3.42 will suffice. Furthermore, you will get better gas mileage for everyday driving.

However, if quick acceleration and heavy-duty towing ability are things you’re looking for, the 3.73 is your ideal choice. Although the 3.42 axle ratio does a good enough job many a time, it just is not as heavy-duty as the 3.73.
Old November 20th, 2023, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank You

Thank you for the information. I very much appreciate it.