Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1965 Chevy Truck brake question

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2019, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1965 Chevy Truck brake question

Good evening and thanks in advance for the help. A friend asked for help with brakes on a classic truck and I said no problem because I've done alot of brake jobs(on newer cars). He showed up with a rolling chassis. He said he thought it was a 1965 C20 but he said a 1 ton. To the best of my knowledge the C20 is a 3/4 ton and the C30 is a 1 ton. He provided a VIN from some paperwork that came with the truck which was C3695A121035. The front brakes were no problem and they are done. The rear brakes are the issue. The rear end is huge on this truck and the drums didn't match anything the parts store could find in the diagrams. They are much bigger than what is pictures. The interior diameter of the rear drums is 13". They were in decent shape and are being turned. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than me can use the VIN and the pics to help me narrow down what I have on my hands. I really appreciate any assistance.

Old May 29th, 2019, 9:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

With the leaf springs, I'd say a one ton. Yes a 20 is a 3/4 ton. The vin you should be able to look up what it is using the vin decoder on this site.
Old May 30th, 2019, 1:59 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
With the leaf springs, I'd say a one ton. Yes a 20 is a 3/4 ton. The vin you should be able to look up what it is using the vin decoder on this site.
I agree. Seen lots of 3/4 tons and they didn't have that many leaf springs. Has to be a 1 ton.
Old May 30th, 2019, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake parts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
I agree. Seen lots of 3/4 tons and they didn't have that many leaf springs. Has to be a 1 ton.

I need the shoes, cylinders, and hardware kit but not sure if I should be ordering for the C30. Does anyone know how many wheel sizes came in that year on a C30?