Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1982 (carbed) 350 wont run below 3k.

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2015, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1982 (carbed) 350 wont run below 3k.

Just bought this truck, it's my first chevy. I'm a ford guy. I know my 460 like the back of my hand. I've never encountered this problem before.

I can start the truck with a lot of pumping, I can keep it running if I hold about 1/2 throttle, but if i let it down she dies. If I try to start her without holding the gas, it will fire for a moment and then die.

I have no vacuum leaks. I plugged everything, even the tranny.
I even went out and bought a new edelbrock.
same problem.
timing is DEAD on. (set it when it was idling when I went to look at it. )

The truck would idle when I bought it. Went to put it on the trailer and it quit.
towed it home and here I am.

When it does start, it is not running smooth. feels rough.
New battery, even tried another one. plugs are all new. Cap and rotor are new.

Please help. i'm about to put a flare in the gas tank and roll it down the street. been messing with it for two days.

engine is out of an 82 camaro, carbed.
Thanks, Devin.
Old January 1st, 2016, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will it run if you dribble fuel directly into the carb ?
If so, I'd be looking at the Fuel Pump, or replace with Electric.
Old January 1st, 2016, 1:11 PM
CF Active Member

did you remove the egr and plug the port to try and see if that made a difference.almost sounds like the carb needs to be overhauled.to me it sounds like the idle circuit is plugged.what if you try to choke the carb,if you close the choke plate and leave an opening about an 1/8 of an inch.have some try and start it and if it fires up and runs somewhat ok i would rebuild the carb.
Old January 1st, 2016, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by chevy55
did you remove the egr and plug the port to try and see if that made a difference.almost sounds like the carb needs to be overhauled.to me it sounds like the idle circuit is plugged.what if you try to choke the carb,if you close the choke plate and leave an opening about an 1/8 of an inch.have some try and start it and if it fires up and runs somewhat ok i would rebuild the carb.

It does not have EGR or EGR manifolds, Carb is BRAND new. a day old. did with both carbs. It will only run with choke fully applied.

Cant get it to run long enough to run without choke. will go try the fuel down the carb thing now. Tonight I replaced the cap and rotor again, along with the module and condensor. Spark is MUCH stronger now however same problem. When it does run it aint smooth. feels like a bad miss.
Old January 1st, 2016, 6:46 PM
CF Active Member

did you check to see if you have any fuel and pressure coming out of the fuel pump.
Old January 1st, 2016, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

did you check to see if you have any fuel and pressure coming out of the fuel pump.
Just changed the fuel pump and filter. filled right up, fuller than it ever has before. Let it idle for ten minutes, perfect, waited for choke to fully open (it's 22 degrees here), still good, Put it in reverse, backed her out of the garage, did a lap of the parking lot, starts running rough, i put it in park to try and let it idle back up, I hit the gas to rev it and it bogs as soon as I hit the gas, let off and it kind of catches, then it died. I waited 15 minutes, could not restart. towed it home (about 20 minutes), tried again, tried to start once or twice then nothing. just cranks and cranks and cranks.

I am 100% stumped. I have replaced every single system on this truck and gotten no-where. I've never had an engine give me so much trouble.

This 350 is possessed. It needs a goddamn priest.

anyone have any ideas?
Old January 1st, 2016, 9:58 PM
CF Active Member

does your truck have electronic spark timing or is it the conventional vacuum advance ignition system.
Old January 1st, 2016, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

does your truck have electronic spark timing or is it the conventional vacuum advance ignition system.
Vacuum advance, I have it disconnected and plugged. Tried with and without it.
Old January 1st, 2016, 10:27 PM
CF Active Member

check the disributor shaft for side to side play if you haven,t checked already,it could be a bad pick up coil also.while you were in the distributor how did the wires look at the pick up coil.could be the windings in the pick up coil are weak and causing your issue.i have seen a weak coil cause an engine to fall flat on its face.engine would idle fine ,put a load on it and it would die.did you check with a spark tester and set it to 30k .it should jump an inch and be a nice fat blue spark.just throwing out some more suggsetions.
Old January 1st, 2016, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

check the disributor shaft for side to side play if you haven,t checked already,it could be a bad pick up coil also.while you were in the distributor how did the wires look at the pick up coil.could be the windings in the pick up coil are weak and causing your issue.i have seen a weak coil cause an engine to fall flat on its face.engine would idle fine ,put a load on it and it would die.did you check with a spark tester and set it to 30k .it should jump an inch and be a nice fat blue spark.just throwing out some more suggsetions.
There was shaft play as be be expected in an older engine, however Nothing bad enough to set her off time.

I thought of the stator but it looks fine, I changed the little silver condenser, the magnets on the rotating piece are clean and seem fine as well. I can put a load on it for a minute or so. I floored it when I did my lap and burnt the rear tires, it had PLENTY of power.

I just talked to my buddy and he suggested maybe the float level in that edelbrock was set wrong at the factory and after a while it starts spilling over into the intake and slowly flooding it with more and more fuel until it can't keep up. I'm going to tear it open tomrrow and lower the float levels. Might even go out in the snow and do it now. This is on my plow truck So Every day it sits I'm losing money.

This video is not mine, but shows exactly what it does when It begins to die.

Last edited by drostron93@gmail.com; January 1st, 2016 at 10:38 PM.