Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1985 6.2L fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2018, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 6.2L fuel issue

1985 C-20 w/ naturally aspirated 6.2L diesel. I know I got a bad slug of fuel but all was well except for a little surging while running under load (towing my 20' car trailer) which was typical of the filters getting plugged up. I changed the fuel filters (primary spin-on added; Baldwin BF5800) and when I went to start it, it's blowing a whole lot of smoke from the left bank, not so much from the right but still smoking. Also it won't run smooth or attain full speed. Once it get above about 1400 RPM it starts sputting/popping and that's when it looks like I'm laying down a smoke screen for a Normandy invasion.

Obviously somehow contamination got past the secondary filter and into the injector pump and or injectors. Other than removing all the fuel lines and blowing everything out, is there any way I can clean the pump and injectors? FYI I have 33 years experience as a heavy industrial mechanic, just no experience on these injector pumps and injectors.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
Kw
Old August 27th, 2018, 4:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by markkw
1985 C-20 w/ naturally aspirated 6.2L diesel. I know I got a bad slug of fuel but all was well except for a little surging while running under load (towing my 20' car trailer) which was typical of the filters getting plugged up. I changed the fuel filters (primary spin-on added; Baldwin BF5800) and when I went to start it, it's blowing a whole lot of smoke from the left bank, not so much from the right but still smoking. Also it won't run smooth or attain full speed. Once it get above about 1400 RPM it starts sputting/popping and that's when it looks like I'm laying down a smoke screen for a Normandy invasion.

Obviously somehow contamination got past the secondary filter and into the injector pump and or injectors. Other than removing all the fuel lines and blowing everything out, is there any way I can clean the pump and injectors? FYI I have 33 years experience as a heavy industrial mechanic, just no experience on these injector pumps and injectors.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
Kw
Doubtful. I think you are going to have to clean the entire fuel system including the injectors. I suppose you could try Seafoam or Techron for Diesel motors, but I wouldn't count on those working. Are you buying diesel at some mom and pop station? I'd fill up at a high traffic truck stop. They change the filters in the dispensers often as a trucker cant afford that kind of downtime, and word would get out to avoid that truck-stop. Thats the price paid with a diesel engine; problems like these cropping up.
Old August 27th, 2018, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Henry. Rereading what I wrote, it didn't come out as I intended it to. What I meant was I'm going to take all the lines off and blow them out. I just need to know if there's a way for me to blow out the pump and injectors too or do they have to be disassembled and if so is it something I can do myself without destroying them?
Old August 28th, 2018, 1:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by markkw
Thanks Henry. Rereading what I wrote, it didn't come out as I intended it to. What I meant was I'm going to take all the lines off and blow them out. I just need to know if there's a way for me to blow out the pump and injectors too or do they have to be disassembled and if so is it something I can do myself without destroying them?
Since that particular diesel motor is an old-style mechanical, indirect fuel injection engine, it _might_ be possible to clean the injectors. I cant say that for certain, as I am not a diesel tech.

As to the fuel injection pump, its the same thing. I do not know enough about those old diesel fuel injection pumps, to claim that you can simply blow them out with air or
carb cleaner.

I did look up some prices, on both and you are looking at about $500+dollars for a remanufactured fuel injection pump (with a 500 dollar core charge if core not sent back). The injectors, brand new, will cost close to $200 USD plus tax/shipping for all eight.

Since the 6.2L was a Detroit Diesel engineered motor, it might be a wise idea to visit a forum for people who know more about mechanical IDI diesel fuel injected motors.
Old August 30th, 2018, 4:10 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Henry. Will do.