Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1988 gmc 1500 problems

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2010, 7:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

a dirty or faulty egr can and will cause a funky idle. definetely get it hooked up, recheck timing after rig warms up. hopefully this will solve issue.
Old March 25th, 2010, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

k thx for help
Old March 26th, 2010, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

ok new problem the truck now runs smoother i messed with the iac plunger a bit and it runs better but under hard acceleration its studders i also hooked up the egr and everything all the vac lines.but now it only studders under hard accleration now when you floor the gas pedel it studders for like maybe 2 or 3 seconds then it gets smoothe stops the studder AND THEN it picks up power and starts to pull hard any info or advice thx
Old March 26th, 2010, 9:32 PM
CF Veteran

did you recheck the timing? also, is the iac clean? egr clean?
Old March 26th, 2010, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

by iac clean you mean the port that the plunger goes in.and i have never cleaned an egr i always just bought one lol ill google that part though and i havent rechecked timing.
Old March 26th, 2010, 9:42 PM
CF Veteran

the iac itself has a pintle on it that may get dirty which will cause it to not seal right inside the throttle body. if there's any dirt or carbon on it or in the throttle body, you'll need to clean it out. pretty much same with egr. if it's dirty, it won't work right. also, make sure all vacuum lines are hooked up, not broken, and all ports on throttle body that don't have a line are plugged.
Old March 26th, 2010, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

k ill do that first thing in the morning and ill get back to ya if the problem persist thx
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:10 PM
CF Beginner

o yea 1 more thing after running my engine for maybe 3-5 miles my check engine light comes on but only after driving it a few miles its never on right when i crank it lol sry i left that out before
Old March 27th, 2010, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

ok new issue while messing with my egr valve i noticed that when the engine gets heated up ill idle it up and the egr diaphram isnt moving like it should that combined with the fact that the check engine light only comes on after a few miles makes me think it could be the egr valve or the sensor the vac lines run through
Old March 27th, 2010, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

ok i just pulled the paper clip test on my ecm lol i forgot about that till this morning and its shooting a error code 32 at me that is egr if i remember correctly and in some cases the map sensor right?

Quick Reply: 1988 gmc 1500 problems