Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1995 suburban engine swap to 1989 suburban 350

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2018, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 suburban engine swap to 1989 suburban 350

Hi I got a 1995 suburban 350 rear wheel drive 2500 series. engine knocking. Have a good 89 350 out of another surburban. I noticed that when i pulled pan 95 pan has an X and a slight drop to a line in sump area. 89 is just flat. sump on 95 smaller than 89. 89 pan rotted . 95 pan very nice. can i put the 95 pan on this engine. with no gasket in place i put the pan on the motor (motor is on stand upside down)using the dip stick there seemed to be less than a quarter inch clearance but where that straight line was the stick would just slip through on the flat part.. im going to put all my other parts on this 89 from the 95. fly wheel , balancer, timing cover timing gears, intake manifold. distributor. all this stuff was new or replaced last year. this motor has about 160,000 miles on it and it was serviced by me at the school every 3000 miles since new so its never been allowed to gunk up. should i leave the oil pump alone or replace it. i bought a high volume one but now that im into it do i really need it. im hoping to get a few years out of this engine. the truck is southern no rust in the body. im concerned mainly with this oil pan swap. or should i just buy the right pan new.