Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1997 K2500 Burb alignment

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2017, 5:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 K2500 Burb alignment

So, I'm lost. My truck will want to turn right all the time, you have to hold it on the road. Highway, low speed, doesn't matter. I've replaced the upper ball joints, upper control arm bushings, Pitman arm, idler arm, steering box, calipers, pads, rotors, steering stabilizer and front shocks. Checked the lower ball joints and wheel bearings but they are free and have no play. Had it aligned twice by Merchants. The guy was cool, he brought me in and showed me the machine and worked with me. He let me drive it after everything was done and we tried again but he was even lost and apologized. On the machine it was perfect. On the road not so much. I bought new Cooper Discover A/T's and some Dick Cepeks recently but nothing changed after the upgrade. Went with a bigger tire but the issue persisted after the change.

So the only things I haven't changed are the lower ball joints, inner / outer tie rods, wheel bearings, and ????. I even went as far as to park my truck on flat ground and measured the height of the front fenders and re-adjusted the torsion bars to match everything up hoping for some improvement.

Its very squirrelly at highway speed. The larger tires seemed to have amplified the issue. Wanders fairly badly now.

any help will be much appreciated
Old October 14th, 2017, 7:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay guys, I believe I figured the issue out last night. 🙏 My new rotor on the passenger side was warping. So when the truck sat at Merchants to get aligned it was cold. We drove it in, lifted it, no issues.....wheels spin free. Well after driving last night I pulled it in the shop and lifted the passenger side and it was rock solid. I was able to get it free but only about a quarter turn back and forth. 10 minutes later it was free again, when cooled down but now I could see where the issue was. The rotor was only showing itself after being hot. I threw a new rotor on last night. Looks and feels great. We will see today when I drive to ball practice. 🤞🏻