Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1998 Chevy 1500 4.3L - 5.3 Swap

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2015, 5:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1998 Chevy 1500 4.3L - 5.3 Swap

Hi Everyone,

Just to start off if anyone has a thread that explains this please let me know. I DID try to use the search bar but it yielded no results.

-Make ----- 1998 Chevy 1500 4.3L
-Model and Year Model ---- 1500, model year i think is 1997
-Drivetrain Layout (2WD, 4WD) ---- 2WD
-Engine Size ---- 4.3L
-Body Style (Step-side, 4-door, coupe, stuff like that) ----- Short cab with regular box.
-Any other information that may be vital. --- ask and i will answer!

alright... now that i have that cleared up.
I am doing the swap from my stock 4.3L Vortec from the 1998 body to a 2001 5.3L.

I have:
The engine (5.3L)
The wiring harness from the engine.
All computers and control boxes attached to the new engine.
Fuse box from the truck it came out of.

I also have all the stock equipment as well that ive kept from the original engine, harness and fuse block.

The 5.3 engine is mounted in the truck now ( had to buy the hooker header engine mounts that move the engine forward and up by a couple inches then had to cut the mounts off the truck frame and modify them so i could weld them to the frame as using the stock position wasn't fitting properly...
The setup was too "narrow" for the engine mounts from the new engine... HUGE PAIN.

My question is the wiring....

My idea is to let the new computers handle the new engine and all that and ALSO use the old fuse box and stuff to handle the ABS and gauges. I will have to splice in some wires like the speed sensor and temp gauges ect. but is that all? Am i missing something critical?

Thank you for your response! I know this is a long shot post.
If you have any specific questions i will give specific answers. I am not unfamiliar to mechanical stuff. This is just my first engine swap and i get a little overwhelmed at it all sometimes.

Justin

Last edited by Darknerocu; October 27th, 2015 at 5:19 PM.