Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2000 K2500 brake light switch issue

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2019, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 K2500 brake light switch issue

Hey guys.
I need help with my brake lights. I replaced the brake booster on my truck and then the brake lights would not work.
I changed the switch (just to be sure and they're cheap) but still no brake lights.
If I hold the switch tight against the rod, they will come on if the brakes are pressed over halfway down, but only if I hold it tight.
I put a shim between the brake light switch and rod to tighten it up, but still isn't working.
If I take the switch off and push it manually, then I have brake lights. Install it and nothing.
I've tried all I know to do and after doing an extensive search cannot find the answer. So here I am.
Any help is appreciated.
Old January 28th, 2019, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

BTW, just FYI, the 2000 K2500 was the last year for that body style. The switch is rectangular and fits over the brake pedal rod and attaches to the brake booster rod.
I wish it used the old style with an adjustable screw-in switch.
Old January 28th, 2019, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

not sure which switch you have...some switches have adjustable plungers that set the adjustment on the first brake application and are fixed position after that...so if you set them up wrong...you need a new one. sounds like its out of adjustment

post a pic of what you have and the part number.
Old January 29th, 2019, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry, a pic is impossible.
And,,,, after reading whats above, apparently I put this thread in the wrong place. For that I apologize. Having once been a mod on a site, I understand how it is being a mod.
Move it if you wish, or delete it.