Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2000chevy tahoe odd noise in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2021, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000chevy tahoe odd noise in 1st gear

I have a 2000 chevy tahoe 5.3L yesterday after leaving the drive through ATM I noticed it didn't feel like it was shifting into gear all the way, it still shifting into different gears, drive reverse low etc... But when driving slow maybe 5-18mph roughly it sounded almost like plastic dragging under my car, I of course got out and checked nothing under or stuck under car, popped open hood and I couldn't see anything loose or leaking (but she's got around roughly 290,000 mile I can't actually see my odometer or my gear on it I just have to count as I shift to know what gear it's in but that's easy enough) it's had the tranny redone once but it was over ten years ago she run well otherwise and I keep up with all my reg maintenance and when driving take it easy on her I don't drive with lead foot and never let her bounce when putting in park on hill (cuz I know that's bad for tranny) any idea what it might be the noise seems to go away as soon as I got 20mph(2nd gear) and I didn't have it in reverse long enough to know if it made the same noise then (I didn't want to keep driving for fear of causing further damage..)
Old March 15th, 2021, 9:37 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

The best way to confirm this is to have someone actually go under the vehicle and check, but there could be a problem with one of the universal joints in the driveline.
Old March 15th, 2021, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an apt to get a diagnostic done today at noon was just curious to see if anyone might have any ideas what it might be ...I'm wondering if it could be low tranny fluid or something ..I can't afford to put a lot of money in her as much as I love her with her milage it's just not feasible...I'd love to put a new motor in (or have mine rebuilt whichever would be better) and then have her rewired structurally she's in amazing condition ...but I wouldn't have a way to pay to have someone do that...as far as I know unless you know your mechanic well you usually can't make payments lol