Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2001 Z24 Gauge and tail light issues BCM ?

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2017, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Z24 Gauge and tail light issues BCM ?

My sons complained of no dash lights the other day. Before I got to look at it , it got worse and his key fob, fuel gauge and other dash stuff started acting up and noticed it had no tail lights either. I pulled it in my shop scanned codes and disconnected battery to reset. Gauge function came back but still no dash or any courtesy lights would work. Dimmer switch will turn on dome light. Brake and turn all work. So I figured it was the BCM. Found one on ebay with same part and code numbers and installed it only to find it needs reprogramming. Altho it did allow my to turn on lights and tail or dash did not work. It would crank but not start and radio was locked. I then put the old one back in so I could still move it around.
My question is can the used BCM be reprogrammed without taking to a dealer? Is there some other diagnosis test I can do? The car is not worth much and I would hate to throw money at it. Anything you can add will help.
Thanks