Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2004 Chevrolet 125 amp Alternator Swap

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2016, 3:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Chevrolet 125 amp Alternator Swap

2004 Chevrolet Venture LT, loaded model
3.4L V6 (3400)

It appears the Venture is available with a 105 or 125 amp alternator. I'm assuming I have the larger alternator being that this Venture has all the bells and whistles.

The alternator is $200+ itself and that is not in my budget so I need to make a trip to the junkyard. The other option is to replace the failed rectifier but this part is not available locally and it may have accrued additional component damage. I'd like to find a direct swap from another GM vehicle that has the 145 amp or larger unit. It seems the Valeo 125 amp OEM unit has a short life span. They tend to get real hot being jammed against the firewall and wheel well. The constant draw from the auto headlamps, power sliding door sensors, stereo, anti theft, etc puts a lot of strain on the alternator.

The part number is ACDelco 10317648. Is there a Yukon/Suburban/Cadillac etc that may have a direct bolt on with more output? I could not find a list or cross reference for which vehicles other than the Venture use this unit. If I can find a V8 that uses this part that gives me some type of idea where to start.