Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2004 Tahoe Spare Key Broke

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2017, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2004 Tahoe Spare Key Broke

So preface, I know absolutely nothing about cars/ car keys so please don't judge!

This is for a birthday which is approaching soon so I need to figure all of this out. (Or I'm gonna show him this thread lol) I'd like to have it done by then though.

--My boyfriend's spare key (I think its a spare because it does not have buttons on it) for his 2004 Tahoe broke (the top where there is a hole to attach to keychain) so it is unable to stay on a keychain.
--This is the only key to his car.
--He does not have remote start or push to start.
--He also has a button thing with only unlock, lock, and alarm on it and that is attached to the keychain. (I don't understand why this is separate from the key, like why wouldn't they put buttons on the key like a normal key, right??)

--My main goal is to get a key that he can put on the keychain.

--If there is a way that I can buy a key with buttons on it and it still work? (So he has one thing [key with buttons] instead of two [key and button thing])

--I know you can buy uncut keys online but I am not sure about which one to get.

--I read something about there being a chip inside and to be careful about it. I don't know what it is for, I'm assuming starting the car.

Any information about my problem would be super helpful! Again, the most you can dumb down the answers for a girl that doesn't know anything about cars!

Thanks everyone!!

Y'all are life savers!