Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2005 Impala horn problems

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2015, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Impala horn problems

I am looking for either or both horn wiring diagram or BCM wires which is the horn wires on BCM.I think my problem is there I have this for a long time I ran wires to the relay and put in a big black button on dash also the factory alarm doesn't trigger horn either.Now my daughter is driving she doesn't like using the big black button that looks like push to eject
Old December 16th, 2015, 4:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the bcm only grds the horn relay when for theft or remote functions. if the horn does not work through the steering wheel...its not the bcm

the bcm grds the horn relay at bcm connector c1 pin b5 which is a black wire.
I would check the common grd wire from the relay out to the bcm and horn switch; for open to the relay... would be nice if you can just connect the wire you have already run into the car to this wire as I believe it is open
Old December 17th, 2015, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

I had found a alarm site that gave me the same info and tested the signal from horn which was good and cut the wire at the BCM connected it to mine and done.I am curious which is the other wire that goes from BCM to horn relay.I really think that the problem was in the BCM because my alarm also stooped chirping the horn unless the wire going from BCM to horn was cut somewhere but I doubt it.
thanks for your help
Old December 18th, 2015, 7:22 AM
Super Moderator

....because they share a common wire to the relay
it can't be the bcm if the horn switch didn't sound the horn. the bcm has no interaction with the manual horn switch other than sharing a common wire to the relay. this is the wire you bypassed.
highly unlikely you had 2 separate problems occur at the same time.

Last edited by tech2; December 18th, 2015 at 7:27 AM.
Old December 18th, 2015, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

my question is isn't there another wire going out from BCM to horn you saying the BCM is good?Are you saying the wire b5 is also going to another point.I thought wire from steering was only going to b5 on BCM throwing negative and another wire coming out of BCM going to horn relay
Old December 18th, 2015, 8:57 PM
Super Moderator

the grd side control out of the horn relay goes to a splice...one goes to the bcm the other to the horn switch. for both bcm and switch to not work the open wire must be between the shared wire from the splice point back to the relay. if the open was after the splice the other branch would still function.
Old December 20th, 2015, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

i will try to put it back to the BCM and see if my alarm chirps
Old December 22nd, 2015, 7:28 PM
Super Moderator

good idea...worth a shot.