Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2006 Suburban Clunk Noise

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2006, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Suburban Clunk Noise

We are dropping the vehjicle off tomorrow at the dealer because when I hit the brakes, I'm hearing a clunk noise. (Truck has 2000 miles...yes it's new) It sounds as if it's from the front left, but then I was hearing it once in a while from the rear right side. I then noticed it when I would give the truck gas from a stop, and the sound would do it again. Almost like to knuckles were bucking against each other and breaking free. Anyway's,....when I described the noise to the service guy, he seemed to know right away what it was even though I said it could be a caliper. He said something about the suspension system blah blah blah. He said that this part would have to be replaced and that they were having issues with this. Hmmmmm, anyone heard of this?
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2006 Suburban Clunk Noise

Well since I received so many reply's I figured you guys were just itching to know what the problem was,.........................well the Dealer today replaced (As per the paper work) ARM ASSEMBLY, REAR CONTROL - LOWER - BOTH - REPLACE I have no idea what these are, but if you know then please fill me in.

I haven't driven the truck since my wife took it in, and now she's out with the truck. I'm guessing since she hasn't complained that all is well.
Old August 8th, 2006, 2:37 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They replaced both of the lower control arm bars in the rear.

If you look under the rear of the truck you won't find leafsprings. Instead you will find either coil springs or airbags depending on what all you got. Well leaf springs not only support the vehicle but they also locate the rear axle. Since you don't have leafs then something has to locate the axle. On these they use 4 control arms or link bars. Also you'll notice that they are parallel which is known as a parallel 4-link. On the back of the axle their will be another bar known as a panhard bar which keeps the axel from shifting from side to side.
Old August 8th, 2006, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for that explanation bud. Very detailed !