Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2007 chevy tahoe temp. Guage not working

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2020, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 chevy tahoe temp. Guage not working

So within last 3 months I bought this nice 2007 chevy tahoe lt withing the last month I noticed my cluster light for mileage burnt out I have yet to fix the issue which I believe is just a burnt out moffit..

The most recent issue tho is kicking my azz
the temp guage went to zero..
I replaced the temp sensor and pig tail wiring bc it looked iffy.
Everything worked ok for about a week then back to zero again and fans constantly run and no a/c.. I live in ohio so its recently been getting a little chilly..
so I was like must be thermostat so I changed it out,flushed the cooling system and boom it's been working for about 2 days.
then today omw home from work it happened again.
My wiring harness still has factory engine mounts that hold it up I literally just got back inside from pulling all the wire loom off to inspect the wiring and everything is good.
I'm kinda lost and was wondering if anyone had any insight on this issue that seems to be extremely common but with no definet solution. ..

I wonder tho if my cluster being fd up would cause a miscarriage reading??
I dont see the warning light everyone sees bc the little resister moffit thing is burnt out...

Lmk anything you would suggest checking thanks for reading guys/gals
Old September 21st, 2020, 10:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If the fans stay on all the time with a low temperature gauge - that means the ECM is not getting it's signal from the coolant temp sensor. If the radiator hoses are getting hot enough where you don't want to touch them, then the cooling system is working fine, no issues there.

The cluster has no relation to the problem - on these trucks it's only a serial data message from the ECM telling it what to do.

It sounds like you have an intermittent wiring issue between the ECM and the temp sensor. If you have a code reader it will likely have a fault stored that will tell you more.
Old September 21st, 2020, 2:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 07tahoeLT69
So within last 3 months I bought this nice 2007 chevy tahoe lt withing the last month I noticed my cluster light for mileage burnt out I have yet to fix the issue which I believe is just a burnt out moffit..

The most recent issue tho is kicking my azz
the temp guage went to zero..
I replaced the temp sensor and pig tail wiring bc it looked iffy.
Everything worked ok for about a week then back to zero again and fans constantly run and no a/c.. I live in ohio so its recently been getting a little chilly..
so I was like must be thermostat so I changed it out,flushed the cooling system and boom it's been working for about 2 days.
then today omw home from work it happened again.
My wiring harness still has factory engine mounts that hold it up I literally just got back inside from pulling all the wire loom off to inspect the wiring and everything is good.
I'm kinda lost and was wondering if anyone had any insight on this issue that seems to be extremely common but with no definet solution. ..

I wonder tho if my cluster being fd up would cause a miscarriage reading??
I dont see the warning light everyone sees bc the little resister moffit thing is burnt out...

Lmk anything you would suggest checking thanks for reading guys/gals
The temp reading is from the sensor, the gauge/cluster won't have anything to do with the fan/ac operation. Just because you replaced it with new (I assume), doesn't mean the sensor is good, or hasn't gone flaky in a week. As posted, probably wiring issue. I would recommend using electrical contact cleaner, clean to connections .