Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2008 Silverado 5.3l Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2016, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Silverado 5.3l Engine Problem

Hi there,

I have a problem with my 2008 Silverado 1500 5.3l. Is has 160tkm on it. Bought it a few month ago with dark engine oil. I got the oil changed and two month after started to have problems. First it was just once awhile that the engine started to rattle a bit and the oil pressure light-(oil pressure low-turn off the engine) came on. Both things happened simultaneously. It was always after approx. 10min after a cold start in idle. (stop light) At those times I turned off the engine,waited a bit and turned it back on, and the problem was gone. Then it started to happen more frequent and now its every cold start. If I let the engine warm up, it does start to rattle( first lifters or that area) after 10min but the oil lamp is not coming up. When I start to drive right away it will come up and the rattle will only go away when the engine temperature reaches about a 100. I put some seafaom(flush) into the crankcase and did another oil change but the symptoms are the same. I also had it checked at a garage, unfortunately the engine was warm at that time and the mechanic couldn't find the problem. However, I'm wondering what I can do/options are? Every feedback helps. Thank you guys!!!!
Old October 27th, 2016, 11:19 PM
CF Junior Member

SilveradoSierra.com ? Vortec 5300 5.3L V8 Check out this forum. You`ll find plenty of company with GM`s mistake.
Old February 10th, 2018, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default Low oil pressure 08 Silverado 5.3L

I’ve changed my oil sending unit once before about 8 months ago because my oil pressure gauge went from 40-60 to 0. I just had to replace it again, but this time it wasn’t the issue even though I got the code that it was. My oil pressure comes up on initial startup but after driving for about 10-15 mins, the low oil pressure indicator comes back on. Could this be an o-ring on the sending tube in the pan or possibly an oil pump issue? Need help!