Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2011 Chevy Silverado Collapsed lifter or no?

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2016, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Chevy Silverado Collapsed lifter or no?

Hey guys I'm new to the forum but I have a issue maybe you can help me resolve I have a 2011 silverado 5.3 motor problem is I'm confused on what's goin on it with it so here's my story hope you can help. Ok i was driving home from work stopped at the stop sign and went to make the turn and the truck herded I heard a load metallic sound but just Houghton I was the chain in the bed of the truck so I continued driving about 3 mins down the road I hear a load tapping noise I turn my music down and it sounds like a bad lifter I pull the truck over an have it pulled home hopefully not damaging anything more internally so I get home throw the code reader on it misfire on cylinder 7 so I change the plugs swap the coil packs still same thing misfire so I have the truck taken to the local mechanic hear tears it down does not find a collapsed lifter so at this point I'm baffled so my house isn't far from the shop so I decide I will.try driving it home I start out the drive way amd it's tapping get down the road a ways I get the hard jerk again and boom tapping noise gone but now I have service stability track and traction control flashing so I took it to the dealership the tech does and compression test cylinder 7 is losing compression and he says I have a collapsed lifter so they wanna rebuild the lifters for 4800 no way will I pay that much for lifters so I'm wondering why did the tapping stop? Any answers are appreciated
Old May 26th, 2016, 7:09 PM
CF Veteran

sounds like the lifer may be having issues with latching and unlatching when it should but without the vehicle its hard to say for sure
Old May 26th, 2016, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
sounds like the lifer may be having issues with latching and unlatching when it should but without the vehicle its hard to say for sure
So is it best to get all the lifters redone or what should I do at this point I'm pretty sad without my truck lol and the dealer is asking way to much
Old May 27th, 2016, 7:51 AM
CF Veteran

if you saw how much work it is you might be able to understand the cost a bit better but yes if you're digging in that far in my opinion it'd be dumb not to do them all and possibly the cam depending on the condition its in. A lot of times people opt for a new or rebuilt engine when I've ran into this, the cost isn't usually too far off and depending where you get the engine it comes with a warranty
Old May 27th, 2016, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
if you saw how much work it is you might be able to understand the cost a bit better but yes if you're digging in that far in my opinion it'd be dumb not to do them all and possibly the cam depending on the condition its in. A lot of times people opt for a new or rebuilt engine when I've ran into this, the cost isn't usually too far off and depending where you get the engine it comes with a warranty
Yea i figured it was alot of work considering you have to take the heads off but I'm leaning towards just getting another motor with a warranty because that's alot of cash just to fix and issue with just warranty on the lifters I'll probably go the new motor route thanks for your input