Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2013 Chevy suburban dead. sometimes

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2016, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Chevy suburban dead. sometimes

My 2013 suburban wont start. Its not every time, but, when i go to turn the key its completely dead. No lights, no radio, no dingers, nothing. The battery has been tested and is OK. Yesterday when this happened i took the battery cables and the fuse on the battery, which were not dirty, and cleaned them anyway. It fired right up. This morning it took the kids to school, no problems. Went to pick them up after school, used the remote start, the tail lights flashed and that was it. Stone dead again. I took the cables off to clean again, no luck.

A few weeks ago i was going down the highway and flipped on the bright lights. All the lights, dash lights, and radio flickered off then came right back on. It only happened one time that night. I has happened other times.

Last week my wife took it to Sunday school. Fired right up in the morning but when she got to school she tried to restart it and it was dead. I went up and hour later to try get it going, before i did anything i tried the key and it started no problems.

I took it to a local Chevy garage and they hooked it up to their computer only to find nothing and of course they've "never seen this problem" so they cant help..

Anyone help??!!
Old November 29th, 2016, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Brianhersom
My 2013 suburban wont start. Its not every time, but, when i go to turn the key its completely dead. No lights, no radio, no dingers, nothing. The battery has been tested and is OK. Yesterday when this happened i took the battery cables and the fuse on the battery, which were not dirty, and cleaned them anyway. It fired right up. This morning it took the kids to school, no problems. Went to pick them up after school, used the remote start, the tail lights flashed and that was it. Stone dead again. I took the cables off to clean again, no luck.

A few weeks ago i was going down the highway and flipped on the bright lights. All the lights, dash lights, and radio flickered off then came right back on. It only happened one time that night. I has happened other times.

Last week my wife took it to Sunday school. Fired right up in the morning but when she got to school she tried to restart it and it was dead. I went up and hour later to try get it going, before i did anything i tried the key and it started no problems.

I took it to a local Chevy garage and they hooked it up to their computer only to find nothing and of course they've "never seen this problem" so they cant help..

Anyone help??!!
Does sound like a loose connection, if you cleaned the terminals at the battery try the other side of the wires, positive should go to the starter, ground should be to the engine. Make sure it's all tight. Bring a multimeter with you, next time its completely dead and start tracing the connections back, check the voltage on the battery, then see if you have voltage at the starter, keep working your way back wherever you lose voltage should be your problem.
Old November 30th, 2016, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply! I went out this morning during the heavy snow fall and to attempt to jump the fuse on the battery, with no luck. So i put the battery charger on and, boom, it fired right up. Without giving it any significant time to charge. So, it makes me wonder, IS there something wrong with the battery even though is checks out?? Can the battery have a short internally? It is the original battery...
Old November 30th, 2016, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

It's possible but not probable, batteries usually go bad and stay bad, they don't go back and forth, if the computer is getting the wrong voltage it can mess things up, but generally they have a wide tolerance. its got to be a loose connection somewhere. Like I said when it won't start check the voltage on the battery, should be above 12V, then put the positive multimeter reader where the positive cable connects to the starter, see if you still have 12V+ you can ground on the engine. Then follow the wires back to the fuse box and check there, still 12V+? Make sure all the connections are tight as you go
Old December 1st, 2016, 2:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Get someone who knows what they`re doing to check battery and cranking voltages.