Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2014 Tahoe A/C Blinking, even on hot days. Sensor Location?

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2018, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Tahoe A/C Blinking, even on hot days. Sensor Location?

Hey guys, so the last hot day of the summer and my A/C won't come on. The snowflake just blinks.... Apparently, this feature is to protect the compressor on below freezing days. So I order the A/C ambient temperature sensor. Not to be confused with the ambient temp sensor for the outside temp on your dash. Problem is, I can't find it.... Anyone know where this sensor is? It has to be outside the engine bay, like the other Dash temp sensor, but no luck. I figured it would be in front of the rad like the other sensor?? If you guys could help me out before april comes
Old November 27th, 2018, 9:30 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by MDELGADO
Hey guys, so the last hot day of the summer and my A/C won't come on. The snowflake just blinks.... Apparently, this feature is to protect the compressor on below freezing days. So I order the A/C ambient temperature sensor. Not to be confused with the ambient temp sensor for the outside temp on your dash. Problem is, I can't find it.... Anyone know where this sensor is? It has to be outside the engine bay, like the other Dash temp sensor, but no luck. I figured it would be in front of the rad like the other sensor?? If you guys could help me out before april comes
here it is

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...re+sensor,7010:
Old November 27th, 2018, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry

That's a sensor for the refrigerant temp.

I think my original thought may be off. I thought there were two outside temp sensors. One sensor for you outside temp in the instrument cluster and one outside temp sensor for the A/C to protect the compressor from freezing temps.

I found this in a thread. I'll try it after work if its above 40 when i leave

Press the AC & Recirculation buttons simultaneously with your index & middle finger. (The recirculation button is right above the AC button). This causes the an instant temperature update to your system and allow your AC to come on and stay on afterwards. My Chevy service rep. looked up the problem on his GM computer while I stood there, then he printed this solution off for me.
Old November 27th, 2018, 9:54 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by MDELGADO
That's a sensor for the refrigerant temp.

I think my original thought may be off. I thought there were two outside temp sensors. One sensor for you outside temp in the instrument cluster and one outside temp sensor for the A/C to protect the compressor from freezing temps.

I found this in a thread. I'll try it after work if its above 40 when i leave

Press the AC & Recirculation buttons simultaneously with your index & middle finger. (The recirculation button is right above the AC button). This causes the an instant temperature update to your system and allow your AC to come on and stay on afterwards. My Chevy service rep. looked up the problem on his GM computer while I stood there, then he printed this solution off for me.
I know of no sensor for cold outside temps cutting the A/C compressor off. You have one at your evaporator to cut the magnetic-clutch off if it make the system too cold. It uses the low pressure switch to do so.
I'd sure like to see that service rep printout. Might be something new but I have parked in cold weather lots of times and the compressor works fine. Might be a "new idea"
to save on gas for the fed fuel standards...maybe. I am gonna find out sooner or later. I trust dealerships about as far as I can throw them, which aint far..