Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2016 Chevrolet Tahoe - Drove In Four Wheel Drive Low - Any Problems

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2016, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Cleveland63b,

I understand and yes I have learnt my lesson now. I now only drive in 2wd High for regular use and never switch to anything else. As per the recommendation, I will switch to 4 High and 4 Low atleast once a month to keep things lubricated.

However, here is my question, since I just learnt this, what about the 100+ miles I drove in Auto (highway speeds) and the 20 miles I drove in 4 Low (speeds within 35 mph, mostly 25 mph). have I done any damage during this one time operation in Auto and 4 Low?
Old July 5th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Breaking

kkriskal,

Your vehicle is new and strong !
Those brief excursions over 30 mph has not hurt it at all. We all occasionally must do that. My concerns relate to continuous operations at those elevated speeds. You haven't hurt anything, and, I applaud you for being so well concerned for your vehicle.

Something they may not tell you in the Ops Manual...
Running down steep grades at a higher speed than you like, has been a problem for quite some years now. Truckers and those Towing Trailers use Engine Breaking. But anyone in need, can apply this procedure.

That means that they select a lower gear, and let off the throttle, which allows the engine to pull your speed down, which allows you to not use the brakes excessively. The engine it's self, through the gear reduction in the transmission, becomes the brake.
This in no way damages your Transmission, and the gear selection can be changed progressively downward at any reasonable* speed in 2WD or 4WD.

Give this a try...
You should try this in an area where your reduction in speed will not cause concern.
I'm not sure just how your gear selector shows the gear you've selected, so, I'll just generally state things.

Get going in your highest gear at about 40mph (that's "O" for me) Overdrive.
Let your foot off of the throttle.

Then, pull the shifter down to the next lower selection ("3" for me).
You will immediately feed a reduction in speed (maybe slight at this point).

Then, move the shifter down again ("2" for me).
This should provide a substantial reduction in speed.

Then go to your next lowest gear (that would be "1" for me).
This will give you the most braking of any gear selection.
Just keep your foot off of the throttle through this.

Anywhere (through the downshifting) where you achieve a reasonable/safe speed, you can then use the throttle to maintain the desired speed in that lower gear, until the need has passed. This will not hurt your Transmission. Like I said, it's done all the time by Truckers. Once the need for Engine Breaking has passed, shift your transmission to it's normal operating gear ("O" probably) and go on your way.

Notes...

Emergency Braking:
This procedure can be used to reduce the speed of your vehicle, should your Brakes fail. Thusly reducing speed where the Emergency Brake can be applied and stop the vehicle much more quickly.

* Over revving the Engine:
This is where the revolutions of the engine (RPM) exceeds the recommended speed. See your Owners Manual for that information. If it is not stated therein, use 4500 RPM as a general temporary maximum engine speed.

To prevent this when necessary, execute the downward shifting at a slower rate. Allow the RPM of the engine to drop below 3000 RPM, before another downward shift is made. Under the most severe need, one may apply the Brakes briefly to hasten this.

Fuel Consumption:
Anytime one operates his vehicle in lower gears, the Fuel Consumption goes up. In my opinion, an insignificant price to pay, for the benefit of this procedure, when required.

A Safety Tip:
Remember, when you are executing this procedure, someone behind you may be surprised by your reduction in speed, without any warning. Try to remember to tap your brakes lightly, or, turn on your Emergency Blinkers to draw notice.

PS:
Your kind words of thanks are greatly appreciated.
It is the objective of this Forum, it's Moderators and Contributors to inform.
There is a great amount of personal satisfaction, that we have in doing that.
So, thank YOU, and you are welcome.

Last edited by SWHouston; July 5th, 2016 at 1:19 PM.
Old July 5th, 2016, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

Hello SWHouston,

Thank you for confirming that it did Not cause any damage, this is a big relief and peace of mind. I will follow your recommendation to use Manual mode and range it in lower gears according to the speed while going downhill.
Old July 8th, 2016, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Hello SWHouston,

I had one more question. I noticed that everytime I engage Reverse To Drive or Drive to Reverse there is a Cluck or Tuck noise or rather a "Duk" noise (NOT a Clunk as discussed in several forums) and I can feel it engage in to gear. This is at a standstill with brake fully depressed. There is NO jerk or lurch forward, it just makes that noise. After I start driving, the gear changes are very smooth and flawless. I took it to the dealership to get that checked by the technician, they checked, engaged between Drive and Reverse multiple times and told me that it is absolutely normal, they said this is just because of some slack which is being taken up when the transmission is engaged in the opposite direction which is normal in all vehicles and they also said that even the Silverado's have the same behavior so it is absolutely normal.

I am going on a 1400 miles weekend trip today with my daughter so wanted to confirm with you if this indeed is normal because my vehicle is brand new. Is it normal for a new vehicle to have this slack because according to the technician it is. My wife's CRV does Not make this noise. Kindly confirm and share your expert opinion. Thanks.

Last edited by kkriskal; July 8th, 2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old July 8th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Doing that change always makes "some" noise, and how disturbing it is, depends on how sensitive one's hearing is.
Your truck is new, well warrantied at this time.

If the sound continues to get louder, permit GM to correct it for you, and, that warranty applies ANYWHERE in the USA, and farther. Right now, any problem you have can be repaired by ANY Chevy dealer.

Otherwise, go, enjoy, have fun !!
Old July 8th, 2016, 12:05 PM
CF Beginner

Hello SWHouston,

Thank you again for the clarification that it will cause some noise while engaging. I am new to this segment of vehicles and more so with automatic transmissions. Still getting used to all this noise and stuff but wanted to get it clarified from you because I think sometimes dealers do Not always give the correct picture because they might say something just to avoid the work. Now that you have confirmed I will enjoy my long drive this weekend. Also, the sound had Not increased or decreased, it is the exact same every single time.

I just met another Tahoe owner at the car wash this morning (got the vehicle nicely cleaned and spend 2 hours waxing it for the trip), I was talking to him about this noise, he tested my vehicle and said his Tahoe also makes the exact same noise like mine,his was a 2015 but I think 2015 and 2016 are the exact same when it comes to transmission so was happy it is normal. Thanks again for your clarification, have a wonderful weekend.

Last edited by kkriskal; July 8th, 2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old July 9th, 2016, 6:55 AM
Super Moderator

You know, that some owners here on the Forum, have Tahoe/Suburban vehicles which they have driven 200,000 miles, and a few which are at the 300,000 mark. Given the care/concern I've seen you demonstrate here, it wouldn't surprise me if you achieved the "Hi-Miler" status at some point in the future.

When it comes to diagnosis of a problem with your ride, a second opinion is always comforting, specially if those agree. However, I'm not sure that seeking that opinion at a Car Wash, would be as reliable as those who were noted for their mechanical expertise.

There are many things that are under Warranty, however in some instances seeking out other sources than the Dealer may be to your (financial) benefit. Things like Tires, Batteries, Wiper Blades and some other items, can be installed, and would not be covered under the GM Warranty (in the long run), and may/probably cost less from an independent source. However, just in case they are, a call to a Dealer for that decision, is always advised. You can always get a cost for that repair at that time, then make a comparison which suits you.

For any/all mechanical expenses, I would suggest that you keep the Receipt. I have a box I just toss them in, and there have been many times where I have needed to access/prove the work was done, both to validate my compliance with maintenance schedules, and for replacement of that part because of a subsequent failure.

It has been my personal pleasure in counseling you on these issues, and remember "We" are here for you, for any other advice you may require.
Old July 9th, 2016, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

Hello SWHouston,

Thank you so much for your promising words, it would be amazing to get that kind of High Mileage from this wonderful vehicle. I always take the vehicle in to the dealer's service center and even in this case, I did take it there and had it checked by both the Service advisor and he also got a technician. And yes, I will do all of the maintenance with the dealership however small or big it is. I am Not a person with good knowledge on vehicles apart from knowing how to care for it like look out for noises etc. and have that attended to immediately before it become something big. So my first and last stop for any maintenance will be the dealership's service center and as per your advice, I will remember to keep all the maintenance records. I will be in touch with you during my entire ownership of this vehicle and will consult you as and when I have more questions and I am sure I will have a whole bunch of them as I cover more miles. My office and my daughter's school are just 5 miles so I use this vehicle for mainly long distance interstate drive every other weekend so I will be putting on a lot of miles very soon. It is a pleasure you interact with you and learn so much from you, we will be in touch via this forum. Thanks again for everything. I just drove from Colorado Springs to Oklahoma City, the vehicle was amazing, so quiet and comfortable.
Old July 9th, 2016, 2:24 PM
Super Moderator

One of the very strong features about GM products is, the Owners Manual. It covers just about everything one needs to become familiar with the needs of the vehicle, AND driver

Up front, there are several things you need to know, to make your travel more comfortable, and get the most out of your driving experience.

At your leisure, please read the Manual. You may discover things you didn't know it would do, and that familiarity will keep your eyes on the road, rather than searching around for some button somewhere

As before, we're here for you whatever your needs be.
Old July 10th, 2016, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Hello SWHouston,

Thank you, after using the 4Low the wrong way, I have started reading the manual, I have read 1/4th of the book and some other topics which I thought was critical, will somehow complete it within a week or so. Thanks.