Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

350's old and new

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2010, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great! thanks man! this chevy forum is awesome. i really appreciate your help!
Old February 25th, 2010, 7:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ya know, i would call a local performance place or a gm performance parts place and ask them about the heads and conversion stuff needed. i know quite a bit but i'm second guessing myself just a bit on this one, and i'd hate to steer you wrong. i think the deal with gettin pre-87 heads is for using a carb. otherwise using the vortec setup will bolt right on. couldn't hurt to double check tho.
Old February 25th, 2010, 8:30 PM
CF Veteran

ok, so i figured it out. there are vortec heads available for the pre 87 motors, but those are for carb use. so yes, you can grab the vortec heads, intake and all and bolt them onto your motor and go. do check on the cam conversion tho (from hydraulic flat that you have now to the hydraulic roller that vortecs are)
Old February 26th, 2010, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

well. i've decided to keep her carbed. i wanna keep her as close to stock as i can without getting too carried away. so the significance of a vortec head and manifold is that the ducts creat a vortex giving better flow correct? also i was suggested that i could use camels hump heads... whats the deal with those?
Old February 26th, 2010, 9:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd heard a few racers around here say they are crappy heads..didnt say why theya re bad.. or i dont remember anyway.. maybe somebody else can say more lol
Old February 26th, 2010, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

i've heard that people either like them or hate them. i just want to know what peoples thoughts are about them. and why they are called camels humps.
Old February 26th, 2010, 9:15 PM
CF Veteran

i would get the vortec heads still. way better flow. you can easily get an intake that will bolt to those heads to use with carb. check this out:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...8/?Ns=Rank|Asc
Old February 26th, 2010, 9:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moth423
i've heard that people either like them or hate them. i just want to know what peoples thoughts are about them. and why they are called camels humps.

info here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=119815
Old February 26th, 2010, 9:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gotstylez

i was just on that site couple hours ago. great info
Old April 4th, 2010, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

hey guys, its been a long while i know but i thought i'd report back with the info i got. i can switch to vortec heads and its more worthwhile than an engine swap, i have to use the regular flat tappet lifters and get a 85 camshaft alls i have to do after that is go on summit or somewhere and get that vortec manifold that maxxman was talking about. the local speed shop guy told me that bolting on vortec heads is so easy and it actually adds 40 horses just bolting them on! he's got some heads with 88,000 miles on them that he's takin a look at for me. thanks again everyone! love this forum!
-Tom

Quick Reply: 350's old and new