Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

400 build with no start condition.

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2014, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 build with no start condition.

Hey everyone,
Just finished my build on my 75 Chevy. Put together a 400 with 305 heads. So I've been working out some issues and finally hit a dead end. Brand new everything in this engine, literally. Right now I'm fighting to get it started. Before I was having fuel spit up through the carb and got that corrected. So here's what I know distributor is set right (was 180 out with the fuel spitting up) just finished going over the valve train again. That's good to go. I tested the number one spark plug by grounding it, strong blue spark. When I crank it over I hear a quiet popping in the exhaust as each cylinders exhaust valve opens. Tests compression. I do have fuel... I don't know what's up.

Update: got it to backfire by advancing the everlivng **** out of it. So I'm going to try and retard it tomorrow and see what's what. Wish me luck!

Update: Retarding it didnt work either... so when i got it to back fire i was advanced about 80 degrees and when it backfired while i was retarding i got it about 45 degrees before it backfired. so... i think im going to go back to verifying the valve train... pull valve covers and spark plugs and check each cylender one by one to make sure both valves are indeed closed when they reach TDC. if that looks normal im going to go ahead and pull the water pump and valve cover and dig deeper into this.

Update: found some oil on the plugs most likely from building the engine I was pretty liberal with lubrication. Cleaned all of them up watched the valve train as I mentioned above and everything looked good. Checked each cylinder on their compression stroke and those were perfect. Going to charge the battery and give it another try tomorrow.

Update: Yep no go still... any help anyone?

Last edited by 75K10; September 11th, 2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: update