Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

400 SBC Build

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2023, 4:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 SBC Build

I am swapping a 400 (6786133 block) into my 1986 Camaro and have a budget of about $3,000 for the build on this engine. It's going to be mated to the stock 700R4 transmission for the time being and I am hopeful to be making around 400bhp and around 475lb-ft. I want to use 64cc chamber heads and a fairly mean cam. I already have a 650CFM Holley carb (not included in the budget) and essentially need heads, a cam, and any add-ons needed for reliability. I want to leave the rotating assembly stock for the time being, but plan to do 5.75 rods in the future and flat-top pistons (and maybe a supercharger, but we will see). Anybody have any specific parts they recommend or a build list of tried and true builds that fit my budget? I absolutely do not mind buying parts from RockAuto if need be, and I am more than willing to tear this block down in the future, so I am not looking for the pinnacle of reliability. Cam should be fairly choppy, but handle the stock torque converter (maybe something around 230 lift and 110 lobe separation. All comments negative or positive are appreciated.