Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

408 TBI build for truck. (400 SBC)

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2015, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 408 TBI build for truck. (400 SBC)

Just seeing what you guys think, hoping to get some suggestions or tips on this build.
This is going into a 3/4 ton Chevy with a 4l60e.
Since I pulled out the 350, I went ahead and pulled the tranny, went through it, and put in the Transgo shift kit. (On an unrelated note, that was an amazing transmission after 300,000 miles, a worn out check ball and a little water intrusion on the front pump bushing. Other than that it was SOLID.)
Now onto the engine. I bought a 400 off a friend of mine. It's at the shop right now being bored over and balanced, and I should have the short block back pretty soon.
I've got Dart SHP 200cc runners, and before you ask, yes they have been drilled for the infamous 400 steam holes.lol.
I got in touch with Howards cams, he set me up with a 268/270 durationn .440/.455 lift, 112 lobe
Hyd flat tapped cam.
With the engine came an Edelbrock Air Gap intake. I put aside my 350 TBI and got my hands on a 454 with the adapter to the 4150 intake.
I've got an 18psi fuel pump to keep up with the injectors, and I'm getting the throttle body bored out a little bit so it should flow about 700cfm.
Also, I'm getting a custom chip burned from TBI chips, and after I get a few hours on it, I'm gonna send in some info from the OBD 1 and he'll adjust it for me from there.
I'm looking to get between 350 and 400hp from this build, and it seems as if everything is in order, just putting out some feelers for anyone with experience on this type of build for things to look out for. Thanks!
Old May 31st, 2015, 7:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the TBI unit have the 80lb/hr or 90lb/hr injectors?
Will the adapter for the TBI decrease or restrict the CFM of the intakes and heads?
It sounds like it shoud get the hp rating you are looking for, you going to run long tube headers?

Overall sounds like a good build as long as the drive train can keep intact with the torque.