Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

4L60E Problem

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Problem

I have a 99 Suburban 2wd with the 4L60E. It shifts perfectly fine until I hit 50 MPH or greater. Once that happens and I stop at a red light, you take off and it shifts hard into 2nd. It seems to be more harsh in 3rd and 4th but not nearly as much as 2nd. You can turn the key off at the next light, start it back up and it shifts fine again.

Does it need rebuilt or could there be a simpler, cheaper fix? Any advice???

I work approx 14 miles from home. It is all city driving and I rarely get above 50MPH. So going and coming home from work is typically fine but as soon as I take it on the highway, it begins to shift harshly after stopping at a light.
Old September 24th, 2013, 6:28 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the transmission fluid level. The shift solenoids on your Chevrolet Suburban control fluid flow and transmission shift. If the solenoid is bad it would have 2nd and 3rd hard shifting. Replace the shift solenoid.
Old September 24th, 2013, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

If I check the fluid level and it looks good, does that indicate anything? I will check out the shift solenoid. Went to two tranny shops and both tell me that it has to be rebuilt. I have a hard time believing that since it drives perfectly fine most of the time just going back and forth to work.
Old September 26th, 2013, 6:43 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

might have some burnt bands or discs in the transmission I would take to a mechanic asap.
Old September 26th, 2013, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

If so, is it possible to replace just what it needs. Seems everyone jumps straight to rebuild wanting $1500 to $1700.
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:35 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Not Usually, If you take a look at the transmission fluid, if its brownish looking, you got some major problems, its prolly fixing to go!, you can get the parts for your transmission pretty reasonable but the labor is what kills people, i mean taking a transmission out and rebuilding one and then putting back in isnt a 8 hr job, specially if you have never took one out, but i mean you can get a used one for cheaper without decent mileage and have someone take yours out or you take it out and have some assemble and put in but that sounds about right for parts and labor, thats about what I would charge if i was rebuilding it assembling, taking it out and put it in back in. anyways hmu if you need more info appreciate ya aj