Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

4L60E Shifting

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2016, 6:34 PM
SAR
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Shifting Issue

99 Suburban 2WD with 5.7 and 4L60E. 150,000 miles. Bought new and almost 100,000 of the miles have been on cross-country trips (not towing anything).

Last summer I rebuilt the valve body, replacing the 1-2 and Forward Accumulator pistons (both Transgo parts) and installed a Transgo shift kit & separator plate. The job was primarily preventative maintenance as I had a long trip planned & was getting concerned by a harsher 1-2 and 2-3 shift & hoped the new parts might help address that. I did find the plastic accumulator pistons had minor cracks, but nothing that would affect operation. All the o- rings, gaskets, springs and valves in the VB were OK.

I also bought a corvette servo but timed out on replacement as I needed to get the truck back on the road for the trip & never put it on.

Since the replacement under light throttle the 2-3 shift is noticeably firmer, to the point of being harsh. This is only under light throttle. Under hard acceleration or when shifting on an uphill, the shift is OK. All shift points are normal, so the only effect I'm seeing is the firm (harsh) light throttle 2-3. All other shifting, up and down, is smooth with no flare or other issue.

My question is whether this harsh light throttle 2-3 shift is a characteristic of the shift kit, is due to some assembly / other issue that I need to address or if its something I can live with. I've got another X-country trip planned in the new year and if I need to take some action, would prefer to do that at home and not in the middle of nowhere.......

Comments / thoughts appreciated

Last edited by SAR; November 24th, 2016 at 8:27 PM.