Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

67 c20 doesn’t have any spark with

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2018, 8:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 c20 doesn’t have any spark with

my 67 c20 was running amazing after a carb rebuild. It has a 292. I was having issues with it starting and running smooth but it cleared after a carb rebuild. I started and shut it off several times afterwards and it was great! The next morning was chilly and it completely refused to start. It didn’t backfire or do anything at all. So I went to work for my grandpa with my quad instead. When I came back later I jumped it and NOTHING. I was having tons of trouble and figured out it wasn’t sparking so I gave up and let it sit for less than a week before getting a new distributor cap and rotor. And the big moment came, and NOTHING. I tried two other coils and no luck so I tested the points by turning on the ignition and using a screwdriver to pry them apart and when they touched they sparked. So I have absolutely no idea but I’m getting sick of constantly working on it. Any help would be great, thanks!
Old July 24th, 2018, 9:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

What's the point gap? You might have slipped the points to where they are closed. Set them at about .017" with them breaking on the distributor cam.
Old July 24th, 2018, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
What's the point gap? You might have slipped the points to where they are closed. Set them at about .017" with them breaking on the distributor cam.
good idea I’ll try that tomorrow!
Old July 25th, 2018, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
yes! It worked! It friggen worked! I’ve been fussing with that dang truck for foooooorever! And you coming on and spending 3 mins to reply saved me so so so much work!!!!!!! Thank you! I wasted money in the mean time but who cares! New parts!
Old July 27th, 2018, 2:13 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Leland drives 1967 Chevy c20

yes! It worked! It friggen worked! I’ve been fussing with that dang truck for foooooorever! And you coming on and spending 3 mins to reply saved me so so so much work!!!!!!! Thank you! I wasted money in the mean time but who cares! New parts!
Thankfully, I haven't' had to change or set points in ages. Electronic Ignition systems eliminated that awful task back in the early 1970's. My fathers old C-60 ate up a set of points/condenser every month, but we all drove the hell out of that old Chevrolet medium-duty truck, in dust, dirt and mud. That old rig had the 366 Cubic Inch Big Block engine!!!

I finally pulled the distributor and installed an aftermarket E-I system, along with a vacuum advance distributor. Gas mileage and power increased with that change-over.

Also dumped the A.I.R. pump, and plugged the exhaust manifold holes with brass plugs, since it didn't need to pass SMOG. Sure miss that old Chevy truck, sometimes.
Old August 4th, 2018, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

A quick & permanent fix is changing over to an HEI distributor, boom no more messing with points ever. HEI will start every time & also allow a more responsive engine. Well worth the time & money spent.