Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

71 chevelle SS 402BB won't start.

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2018, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 71 chevelle SS 402BB won't start.

Hello, first post on here. Need help for my son. He has A chevelle SS with a 402 BB ( i believe it is stock) , edelbrock 750 carb and a HEI distributor. So this is what happened the other day to him. The car was running fine for him up to this point. The car sat for about week, he got in to start it and BOOM!!!. It backfired so loud it sounded like a m1000 went off. He also said that smoke came up from under the hood, and blew a big hole in one of his mufflers. We put on a new muffler and went to try and start it, but no luck. The engine turns over but will not start.
Things I have checked.1. plugs and spark. Spark is getting to the plugs. I also get a reading of 12v. to distributor when key is on and 9v when turn over the engine. I get lesser readings when the automatic choke is hooked up about 3v less on both.
2. Mechanical fuel pump. Unhooked the hose from the carb. to see if it is pumping fuel and i can fill up a 16oz. bottle in less then 20 seconds.
3. Now for the carb. itself. I try pumping gas into with the throttle , but it doesn't seem to be enough. I can smell gas and can hear a little spray in , but i don't think it is enough.4. If i get in the car and turn the engine over and pump the gas really fast , it will want to start ( Fire up), but when i stop pumping the gas and stop turning it over it just dies.
Any input will be appreciated. I will respond to and questions given to me to the best of my knowledge. Thank you.
Old August 20th, 2018, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

*****Problem solved*****
Talked to a old car guy in town and explained to him what happened.
He said the backfire that big was caused by a sever flooding of the car. Which can cause a term called WASH OUT of the rings. The rings could become partly unseated. The sever flooding can also cause gas to mix in with the oil.
So he told to check the oil for any smell of gasoline and change it either way just to be safe. I changed it as i did smell a hint of gas in it. As for the WASH OUT condition. He told me to take out 4 to 5 spark plugs, which ever the ones are easy to get at and squirt a little oil in the cylinder on top of the piston using a flexible hose oil can.
To my surprise the thing fired right up. Unbelievable. Well i hope this will help someone out down the road.
Thanks to all that responded.
Old August 20th, 2018, 3:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgRat
*****Problem solved*****
Talked to a old car guy in town and explained to him what happened.
He said the backfire that big was caused by a sever flooding of the car. Which can cause a term called WASH OUT of the rings. The rings could become partly unseated. The sever flooding can also cause gas to mix in with the oil.
So he told to check the oil for any smell of gasoline and change it either way just to be safe. I changed it as i did smell a hint of gas in it. As for the WASH OUT condition. He told me to take out 4 to 5 spark plugs, which ever the ones are easy to get at and squirt a little oil in the cylinder on top of the piston using a flexible hose oil can.
To my surprise the thing fired right up. Unbelievable. Well i hope this will help someone out down the road.
Thanks to all that responded.
This is one reason the old motors wouldn't last long before a rebulid: Carbuerator problems like this. You'll likely need to rebuild the carb, as it will continue to run rich, washing the oil off the cylider walls and pistons/rings, causing premature failure. Trust me this wont"go away" on it's own. Seen it happen time after time all too often.

Probably be a good idea to change the motor oil since I am certain it is loaded with gasoline.
Old August 20th, 2018, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

Just ordered a fuel regulator for it and will set it 5 psi. After reading into edelbrock carb. They do not work well on high pressure fuel (pressure over 5psi.) Hoping this will help with the rich fuel condition.