Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

98 s10 2.2L auto trans

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2021, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 s10 2.2L auto trans

So about a couple weeks ago now I went to wash my truck (it was filthy) and then after I was done and went to leave. I had noticed everything on my instrument cluster went completely haywire. It has done it before from time to time and usually just gave it a little "love tap" and poof everything worked. But this time everything stopped working and then my transmission stopped shifting properly. I can only shift into 2nd and 3rd. I had it looked at by a transmission shop and he said that yeah my transmission will be eventually going on but that I am not getting the proper voltage to the trans. When I have it in drive it stays in 3rd and won't shift at all but I can manually. But recently I have noticed that when I'm driving and I'm slowing down and down shift that it acts like its in 4th then goes to 3rd when downshifting and so forth. Has anyone else experienced this problem and know what could be causing it and what I can do to fix it? I feel this truck can keep going for a couple more years I just need to figure out what's going on. Sorry for the long post. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old May 23rd, 2021, 4:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by MrPunker
So about a couple weeks ago now I went to wash my truck (it was filthy) and then after I was done and went to leave. I had noticed everything on my instrument cluster went completely haywire. It has done it before from time to time and usually just gave it a little "love tap" and poof everything worked. But this time everything stopped working and then my transmission stopped shifting properly. I can only shift into 2nd and 3rd. I had it looked at by a transmission shop and he said that yeah my transmission will be eventually going on but that I am not getting the proper voltage to the trans. When I have it in drive it stays in 3rd and won't shift at all but I can manually. But recently I have noticed that when I'm driving and I'm slowing down and down shift that it acts like its in 4th then goes to 3rd when downshifting and so forth. Has anyone else experienced this problem and know what could be causing it and what I can do to fix it? I feel this truck can keep going for a couple more years I just need to figure out what's going on. Sorry for the long post. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Might be possible that it will clear up when it dries out. You could use a contact cleaner to clean out any obvious electrical plugs too.