Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

About engine coolant

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2017, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation About engine coolant

Hello everyone

I have a 2005 Malibu v6 and noticed when engine is cold it says low coolant level on digital screen but when engine gets hotter it goes off. I checked the coolant level while engine was cold as freezing and coolant level was really really low it was like 30% if I say FULL is 100% BUT when engine gets hot it is increasing to 70% or more and not sure what should I do I mean I bought dex-cool coolant to change it but it arrives between 27-30 and I need to drive everyday about 20-30 miles. I am scared I am gonna damage my engine. Should I drive or buy it from store right now? and I really wonder why coolant level increases and decreases with temperature?

Thank you very much. I hope some of you guys can help me that is why I came here
Old January 24th, 2017, 2:44 PM
CF Active Member

Everything expands when in heats up, including your coolant. When your radiator is cool, remove the cap and make sure the radiator is full. Then add coolant to your overflow reservoir until it's at the Full Cold mark. Start the car and run it until it's at normal operating temperature. Make sure the heater is turned on to run the coolant thru your heater core. After it runs while at normal operating temp, at least 10 minutes, shut it off and let it cool down again. Recheck your radiator and overflow reservoir again and top off if needed. Keep checking it frequently to see if your loosing coolant.
Old January 24th, 2017, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SBchevyfan
Everything expands when in heats up, including your coolant. When your radiator is cool, remove the cap and make sure the radiator is full. Then add coolant to your overflow reservoir until it's at the Full Cold mark. Start the car and run it until it's at normal operating temperature. Make sure the heater is turned on to run the coolant thru your heater core. After it runs while at normal operating temp, at least 10 minutes, shut it off and let it cool down again. Recheck your radiator and overflow reservoir again and top off if needed. Keep checking it frequently to see if your loosing coolant.
Thank you for answer but you actually didn't main point of my question. Just little update it is going to be here by this Friday 27 January but I still need to drive it 20-30 miles a day and question is is it ok to drive like this? hot engine 70% coolant if 100% is the FULL mark.