Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

ABS problem

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2010, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS problem

<TABLE border=0 width="100%" itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD vAlign=top width="100%" itxtvisited="1">Hi!

I am the UK owner of a '93 G20 Sportsvan with a conversion. I believe my vehicle has a Kelsey-Hayes 4WD system. Since owning the vehicle I have had the ANTI-LOCK light illuminate at any speed over about 10mph.

Today, I read the fault codes from the control module and got the following codes: 81, 86 and 13.

Code 13 implies that 2 wheel ABS is functioning
Code 81 implies a brake <NOBR style="FONT-FAMILY: inherit; COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_4_0>light</NOBR> switch short or open circuit
Code 86 suggests a short in the anti-lock warning lamp

What should be my recommended course of action? Any advice would be much appreciated!

cheers, Darius </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

p.s: Have already posted on G series forum....but no replies!!!! I feel that this may be a general issue that applies across the Chevy range!
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi UKG20dude,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums!

Try cleaning the ABS sensors, especially if you are getting them muddy four-wheeling!
This may be a non-problem, once your sensors are cleaned up.

On many GM 4WD units the rear ABS sensor is at either the differential or the transfer case, and the front wheels each have a separate sensor which isn't hard to find if you follow the wires.

Once you have cleared the sensors, you'll probably have to disconnect the battery to reset the warning system.