Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

AFR v Trick Flow heads and manifolds for SBC 350

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2022, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFR v Trick Flow heads and manifolds for SBC 350

Hi,
I'm preparing to build a Gen 1 350 cid to go back into an old school Australian ute (the Aussie equivalent of an el camino)
Looking to generate about 400 hp at 5,500 rpm and 425 lb-ft.
TH350 with O/D unit, built for low end cruising, not looking to shred any tires or beat everyone out of the lights!
I think I have most of the parts list pretty well sorted out, but would like advice on AFR v Trick Flow heads and matching intake manifolds.

I'm really interested in everyone's thoughts and advice regarding:
AFR Eliminator 195cc CNC chamber and runners street head with 65 cc chamber matched with the AFR Eliminator Dual Plane 4150 manifold
v
Trick Flow Super 23 195, Fast As Cast, 64cc CNC chamber but not CNC runners matched with the Trick Flow Street Burner Dual Plane manifold

There's USD500 between them, AFR more expensive, but fully CNC heads.

Thanks very much.
James
Old August 16th, 2022, 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trick Flow and AFR are racing oriented manufacturers. Edelbrock makes several excellent choices for heads for street use Chevy Small Block engines. Dart and Brodix also make heads for small block Chevy but again their origins are in racing and their heads cater to drag racers building engines running 1,000 hp plus. I am using one of Edelbrock's Aluminum heads with custom built roller rockers in my Big Block truck engine. I have had the heads in the truck now for several years and they probably have around 20,000 miles on them. No issues and the engine was tuned on a dynomometer to optimize my fuel/air ratio for maximum torque.

I always call the manufacturer and talk to their tech department before I decide what to purchase. If you want AFR or Trick Flow for some reason I would first get on the blower and chat live with a tech advisor so they can get information on how the engine will be used. AFR heads are probably overkill for your use but talk to their tech department, maybe they have a head that is engineered for basic street use. 400 hp is not very much power considering most of their heads are designed for higher limits and higher compression ratios than what you can run with street pump gasoline.
Old August 19th, 2022, 5:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much for taking the time to post, good advice