Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Battery connection stripping

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2012, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery connection stripping

I have a 1999 Chevrolet suburban that when driving the positive cable connection keeps working loose and shorting causing me to loose all power to vehicle, no lights, brake power,or steering. The battery is only 7 months old. I also noticed the plastic covering for screw has partially melted. How can I fix this, I have already tried new screw and battery.
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Side terminal? The torque value on that bolt is ~10 lb-ft. I'm guessing that it was overtightened before. Your problem is probably the localized heating at the terminal from the inadequate electrical contact now that it can't be tightened enough. The correct way to fix it would be to get a new battery (most places will prorate the replacement cost) and either repair the end of the cable or replace the cable all together.
Old January 16th, 2012, 1:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jpak,

When our vehicles are new, most all of that stuff works real good, but...

As they age, Cables get stiff, Motor Mounts get looser, and there's a lot more "play" between the Battery and Motor.

IF you intend to replace the Cable, get one that's a little longer, and do one of those Screw type Cable Clamps to the Fender Well, fairly close to the Battery. That'll stabilize the connection if you intend to continue with the same Battery.
Old January 16th, 2012, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your replies. I will try another battery, maybe I have been turning screw too tight.