Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Best Place To Get Quality Electrical Parts For Older Chevys?

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2018, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Place To Get Quality Electrical Parts For Older Chevys?

I have a 1993 3.1 V6 that's got 200K on it and has been very reliable until recently. The distributor failed about a year ago and I've had to have it replaced (3) times in the past year. I bought a new one and it has a lifetime warranty but I have to pay to have it towed and replaced each time it fails. I've tried searching the internet for a new AC Delco that will fit a 3.1 V6 but they appear to be unobtainable. Does anyone know where I can get a quality replacement part? I would hate to have to junk a perfectly good vehicle just because I can't find a decent quality distributor that will last more than a few months. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old April 25th, 2018, 11:56 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Why does your distributor keep going bad? You need to find the cause instead of constantly changing it. Try this link.
Amazon Amazon
Old April 25th, 2018, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=oldchevy;356175]Why does your distributor keep going bad? You need to find the cause instead of constantly changing it. Try this link.
Amazon Amazon
[/QUOT

Both shops that worked on it say that it's because of cheap replacement parts. They told me it's a serious problem for repair shops. They won't work on older cars unless the customer supplies the part so they won't be responsible for guaranteeing it. The first one lasted a week and the second one lasted about 8 months and less than 5,000 miles. The original AC Delco lasted 200,000 miles. Any suggestions as to what would cause a distributor to completely die? The last time it was running perfect and died at a red light with no warning at all.
Old April 25th, 2018, 1:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I take it the control module is the issue. pop the cap off, there should be a plug in module. I'd suggest getting that replaced if you can find ac or oem replacement. I had an 82 3.1 ESC. Same issue with the control module. After spending $50 a pop and the third new one I was installing, the same parts store I was buying from I had them test the last one before I left the store, it tested bad. Seems the test operator wasn't using the correct harness, and was burning them up.
Old April 25th, 2018, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
I take it the control module is the issue. pop the cap off, there should be a plug in module. I'd suggest getting that replaced if you can find ac or oem replacement. I had an 82 3.1 ESC. Same issue with the control module. After spending $50 a pop and the third new one I was installing, the same parts store I was buying from I had them test the last one before I left the store, it tested bad. Seems the test operator wasn't using the correct harness, and was burning them up.
I considered that. While I couldn't find an AC Delco distributor, I did find a new OEM module available and suggested to the repair shop that might help solve the problem. They brought up the point that since I have an aftermarket distributor now, the AC Delco module might not fit it.

Last edited by leemelone; April 25th, 2018 at 3:21 PM.
Old April 25th, 2018, 3:47 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by leemelone
I considered that. While I couldn't find an AC Delco distributor, I did find a new OEM module available and suggested to the repair shop that might help solve the problem. They brought up the point that since I have an aftermarket distributor now, the AC Delco module might not fit it.
That ignition module is either a 4 or 5 pin thing. I'd suggest look online for that replacement. The other thing with your distributor is the pickup coil. Since the whole unit has been replaced I'd look at the control module. Even if you have a 25 year old car, parts are still available. As oldchevy posted, you need to look at installation. I'd also SUGGEST with a new control module, or even replacement distributor, that control module must have di-electric grease under it, that keeps it from getting hot. <is important, and that might be why you are going through quick distributors