Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

The best spark plugs for your Vortec 5.7 ?

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2011, 2:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best spark plugs for your Vortec 5.7 ?

Just checking out the recommended plugs for my 98 5.7 Express. Most people on here recommend AC Delco (which I currently have fitted) but I have an option of a budget 'Copper' plug thru to 'Iridium', 'Premium Iridium', 'Platinum' and 'Double Platinum'........
I use the van for commuting and do not do high miles. In 'Real World' terms is there a big enough difference in these plug choices to warrant the purchase of the more expesive plugs over the budget Copper ones ?
If the budget 'Copper' plug is fine when would you justify the expense of the 'Premium Iridium'plugs ? I suspect racing may justify it, but what do I know ???? <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->
Old January 10th, 2011, 9:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Default 5.7 Vortex spark plugs

I'm just started updating my very neglected 98 Silverado, with the 5.7L Vortex motor. The first thing I did was new plugs and wires, and I went with the AC copper plugs. My parts guy is a weekend racer, NAPA Auto Parts, and told me to try the standard plugs first, and if my truck didn't like them go with platinum. I guess some 5.7's don't run as well on platinum, but I'm just getting started.
Old January 13th, 2011, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

I have already updated my vortex motor. i got some plugs and the mechanic helped me to get connected it should work fine.