Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Big Block 468 Build

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2021, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Block 468 Build

Hi everyone, I’m new here, found the site while researching a 468 BBC build my kid and I are working on for our chevelle and we would really appreciate some advise on our first build. It’s a standard 454 block (2 bolt, 2 piece rear seal) and crank, block being bored 0.060 over. Looking to be somewhere in the ballpark of 10:1 compression.

questions:
1) when looking at new 454 flywheels, most of them are described as fitment for 350, 400, 454. If I already have a 350 flywheel for a 2 piece rear main seal, will it work for my 454 bbc?

2) what 0.060 pistons will you recommend for a 468 roller, 10:1 setup? I was looking at these:

Wiseco PTS514A6

3) Looking for a set of aluminum heads/intake that wouldn’t break the bank. Basic 119 cc, -320 intake runner, roller setup would be great. Saw some cheap kits from SpeedMaster/PCE. Anyone with experience? I’m assuming in this case, u get what u pay for, but it wouldn’t be the first time I’m wrong.

All input appreciated. Thanks
Old February 10th, 2022, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello:

This is an old post so you probably are moved on by now but in case you still need assistance, I am using an Edelbrock 118 cc chamber Aluminum head on my 454 with custom build roller rocker assemblies and a roller camshaft and different pushrods. You may want to buy a BARE head for your block from Edelbrock and pay someone to build the rocker assemblies to match the type of camshaft and lifter system you choose for the engine. That is what I did but I was not looking for cheap, I was looking to do the job right for how I am using the engine.

Pistons depend on the rocker assemblies, the cam profile and a measurement of distance of valve inflection into the combustion chamber.

Mike P.