Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

blowing fuse with power door lock switch

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2010, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blowing fuse with power door lock switch

Hi,
On my 1998 Express van,everytime I push the power lock button, it blows the 25amp Power Accy. mini-fuse. When I have a good fuse installed, I can work the power seat with no problem, and the fuse does not blow. The fuse seems to blow just when I try to lock or unlock the doors. I have three buttons on the van,rear door, and the two front entry doors. I have tried the driver door and the rear door, and they behave the same. The fuse blows the second I push the switch. The locks lock or unlock in the split second that the fuse lasts. I suppose there is some sort of short in the door lock circuit, but before I take it to a mech., does anyone have a suggestion for me to try first?

Thanks,
Jim
Old November 29th, 2010, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,

I would check the wires where they go from the body to the door. Usually this is an accordian style rubber tube that you can just squeeze and pop out of the opening in the sheet metal. Look for any signs of wear on the wires from bending or any bare wire. Other than that, you'll get invoved in pulling door panels. You obviously have a direct short somewhere. If you want to tackle it yourself, I would start by unplugging all of the wires from the door lock mechanism (solenoid). Try the switch. If it blows the fuse then you know it is a wiring issue. If not, plug the solenoids back in one at a time trying the switch until it blows the fuse. That will tell you which solenoid is bad and needs to be replaced. if for some reason you plug them all back in and it works, then it was more than likely a wire that was moved during the testing and is no longer making contact.

Good luck!

Dave