Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

A/C Blowing Cool But Not Cold

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2020, 12:22 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
after every shop put out $6000 for new 1234yf ac machines(yf=yourf'ed if you have this refrigerant) the industry decided if was no better and went back to r134a.

yf at $1000 per 10lb tank, much more difficult to find leaks compared to r134a and much slower to fill due to the new machines doing leak testing procedures for every fill..it was a fail.
What a freaking nightmare! These laws, enacted by our lawmakers, need to make it difficult to get things right. Hopefully, the R-1324yf (your F'ed) A/C units can be switched back to R-134A if need be.
Old June 29th, 2020, 10:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree, I find it annoying a lot the things the auto industry does, or has to do. I especially hate it when it replaces something that already worked, for minimal "improvement". I also dislike all the new tech, screens and other stuff, but that is a different subject. (Funny I dislike it so much, because I am in high school and I am supposed to be part of the next generation of car buyers who is supposed to like this stuff!)
Old June 29th, 2020, 11:50 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Mr. Dude with a face
I agree, I find it annoying a lot the things the auto industry does, or has to do. I especially hate it when it replaces something that already worked, for minimal "improvement". I also dislike all the new tech, screens and other stuff, but that is a different subject. (Funny I dislike it so much, because I am in high school and I am supposed to be part of the next generation of car buyers who is supposed to like this stuff!)
I hear you! I am much older then you, but as I see it, internal combustion engines will be a thing of the past on light vehicles in 10 or 20 years, and only farmers tractors and locomotives will use diesel-powered ICE engines. I am really glad my 1998 Chevy 1500 pickup doesn't come with all that stuff/junk. No power windows, locks or electronic push-button four-wheel drive and a 5-speed stick-shift, which was about as basic as they came back then, other then the A/C of course.

"Old-school" vehicle stuff wasn't so bad. I can recall buying R-12 for .69 cents a can, but if it really did contribute to degrading the ozone layer, then I suppose it's oaky that we switched to R134A. Right now my 2015 Malibu electrical trunk lid won't close properly and it had a habit of opening up a minute or two after driving it, so I'd pull-over and close it.

Now, the damn thing won't stay closed until I use the "open" button on my key-fob, and there is no key-hole, just a black rubber button to help open it. Now I have to put a new trunk lid lock on it, so I am out $30 dollars, but it's really been a good vehicle other then that issue. With the 2.5-liter non-turbocharged motor putting out 196 horsepower, she'll do over 40 MPG at 65-70 MPH, and at a county road speed of 55 MPH, she'll do 50 MPG plus, so I can't complain about engine performance at all.

Even without a turbocharger, she'll haul-*** when I need her to do so.

Chevrolet decided to only use the 1.5 and 2.0-liter turbocharged motors on the 2016 to 2000 model Chevrolet Malibu's, which was a mistake if you ask me. I don't want a turbocharger on a light vehicle at all, as they are nothing but trouble waiting to happen, but with all the eco-laws, I guess that they had to discontinue a great 2.5 L non-turbo motor on the light cars they build now. The 2.5 L is still available on the Colorado light pickup, but that's about it since they no longer manufacture the Chevy Impala
Old July 5th, 2020, 11:56 PM
CF Active Member

@oilcanhenry I do prefer none turbo-charged vehicles myself. To me it adds undue stress to these engines to get that extra bit of MPG. What I really hate is auto-start stop, from what I hear its not only annoying, but if memory suits me, it is something like 80% or 90% of engine wear occurs at start up. So I don't know what these manufactures are doing slapping it on what seems like everything. I do wonder how much of it is forced on them though in an effort to be environmentally conscious, or if they are doing it to each other and they have to do it to keep up, because at the end of the day, MPG and tow ratings seem to be the only thing people think about in trucks now, besides how many buttons and cameras does it have. Side note, who in the hell needs a 10 speed trans in a pickup? My truck has a 4 speed and I would be happy as a clam to have just one more speed, not 6 more!
Old July 6th, 2020, 12:40 AM
CF Monarch

@oilcanhenry I do prefer none turbo-charged vehicles myself. To me it adds undue stress to these engines to get that extra bit of MPG. What I really hate is auto-start stop, from what I hear its not only annoying, but if memory suits me, it is something like 80% or 90% of engine wear occurs at start up. So I don't know what these manufactures are doing slapping it on what seems like everything. I do wonder how much of it is forced on them though in an effort to be environmentally conscious, or if they are doing it to each other and they have to do it to keep up, because at the end of the day, MPG and tow ratings seem to be the only thing people think about in trucks now, besides how many buttons and cameras does it have. Side note, who in the hell needs a 10 speed trans in a pickup? My truck has a 4 speed and I would be happy as a clam to have just one more speed, not 6 more!
Yeah, the auto/stop feature on my Malibu was a pain in the butt. However, there are three ways to overcome it:

1. At the last second, you pull up on the brake pedal a bit. This works 90 percent of the time.

2. Put the transmission into neutral as you stop.

3. Put the transmission into manual mode.

The Malibu has the six-speed automatic and I don't think more speeds would increase much of anything. It has an internal filter, so no way to change it when doing a fluid change.

Yeah as a commercial driver I am used to large diesel engine turbochargers, but on a car or pickup, I don't see any need for one. They add weight to the vehicle, and they can leak oil into the motor, as well as heat the engine oil up, requiring sooner oil changes.
Old July 6th, 2020, 9:34 PM
CF Active Member

Okay, back on the subject of A/C. Had a real scorcher in Utah today, easily 95. I have not checked my system with a professional gauge yet but today the A/C struggled to get down to 55. Should I go rent a gauge or should I just take it to a shop? I ask because as previously stated I have checked the system multiple times with a gauge that goes on just the low side, but nothing pro. This makes me wonder if I have a problem on the, what i am going to call High Pressure side. Is that correct?
Old July 6th, 2020, 10:34 PM
CF Monarch

Okay, back on the subject of A/C. Had a real scorcher in Utah today, easily 95. I have not checked my system with a professional gauge yet but today the A/C struggled to get down to 55. Should I go rent a gauge or should I just take it to a shop? I ask because as previously stated I have checked the system multiple times with a gauge that goes on just the low side, but nothing pro. This makes me wonder if I have a problem on the, what i am going to call High Pressure side. Is that correct?
Yes, the high-pressure side. It uses a larger diameter connection, so one cannot accidentally hook it up the wrong way. If you can rent a good gauge set that would be
the best way to go. As tech2 said, you ought to have 45 F coming out the center vent. 55 F is simply too high.
Old July 6th, 2020, 10:40 PM
CF Active Member

@oilcanhenry The sweat running down my back agrees with you.
Old July 7th, 2020, 4:53 PM
CF Active Member

Okay, now I am just confused, today was 91 and my A/C was blowing about 40 on the way home. Weird...
Old July 10th, 2020, 3:50 PM
CF Monarch

Okay, now I am just confused, today was 91 and my A/C was blowing about 40 on the way home. Weird...
That's terrific news! 40 F degrees is quite normal!

Quick Reply: A/C Blowing Cool But Not Cold