Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Car cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2022, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car cranks but won't start

I have a mid 80's vintage Chevy 350 in a 1931 Ford street rod. The engine cranks but will not fire at all. It does the same thing even if I spray starting fluid in the carb which I think should eliminate fuel supply as a potential cause for my problem. I put an in-line test light between the distributor and a plug. When the engine cranks, the light fires. If my problem was in the ignition, I did not think the light would fire. Could the plugs still be bad if the test light fires? The car isn't run much and the plugs and wires are pretty new. They cannot have more than 1,000 miles on them. I think I might just replace the plugs anyway even though I don't think it will fix my problem.

I have checked the ground lead from the engine to the frame and it seems fine. What other tests can I do that will help me identify the cause?

I really appreciate any input that is offered.

This is a 25 year work in progress. It has a tag and is driven a few hundred miles a year.