Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Carburetor replacement 1977 Chevy G20 van

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2022, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carburetor replacement 1977 Chevy G20 van

So I got this old van (1977 Chevy G20 with a Chevy 350 and turbo 350 transmission) about 8 months ago and it has a Rochester Quadrajet that is plum worn out. Actually not even sure how it manages to run at all with that thing mounted on it. I was thinking about replacing it with a 2 barrel carburator, but not sure if it's the right move? I'm on a tight budget as I've already replaced distributor, plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets and other stuff on this motor and can't afford a Holly 2 barrel or a remanufactured 4 barrel Quadrajet replacement. They have some aftermarket 2 barrels that can be found for around $100 plus another $35 for conversion kit. Will a cheap 2 barrel such as this work okay on my 350 motor? Will it help improve gas mileage any? I've tried adjusting the current carburetor, but it's just to worn and sloppy to be properly tuned up. Any time you try to step down hard on the peddle, it almost died from bogging down. Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old March 2nd, 2022, 6:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 77chevyshorty
So I got this old van (1977 Chevy G20 with a Chevy 350 and turbo 350 transmission) about 8 months ago and it has a Rochester Quadrajet that is plum worn out. Actually not even sure how it manages to run at all with that thing mounted on it. I was thinking about replacing it with a 2 barrel carburator, but not sure if it's the right move? I'm on a tight budget as I've already replaced distributor, plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets and other stuff on this motor and can't afford a Holly 2 barrel or a remanufactured 4 barrel Quadrajet replacement. They have some aftermarket 2 barrels that can be found for around $100 plus another $35 for conversion kit. Will a cheap 2 barrel such as this work okay on my 350 motor? Will it help improve gas mileage any? I've tried adjusting the current carburetor, but it's just to worn and sloppy to be properly tuned up. Any time you try to step down hard on the peddle, it almost died from bogging down. Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
You will at minimum have to install a 2 bl adaptor plate on the intake. You can get he Rochestor carb. number off the existing body. A lot of people do not like a Rochester quad, I do if built correctley. A rebuild kit won't have anything but internal's.
Old March 2nd, 2022, 8:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 214 Likes on 188 Posts

Send it in for a good quality rebuild and enjoy it for many miles

Last edited by Rednucleus; March 3rd, 2022 at 10:39 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2022, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
You will at minimum have to install a 2 bl adaptor plate on the intake. You can get he Rochestor carb. number off the existing body. A lot of people do not like a Rochester quad, I do if built correctley. A rebuild kit won't have anything but internal's.
Ok, thanks for the info. I was reading some questions that had been posted on another site regarding swapping out the 4 barrel to a 2 barrel and one of the comments stated that they had better use a high performance 2 barrel when doing the swap. So that made me wonder if a cheap 2 barrel would actually work or not? Can't afford to purchase something I can't return and find out that it won't work for my application. Like I said, running on a tight budget ATM, but something has to give because my van is literally getting 6 miles to the gallon if that. So thanks for giving me some reassurance that my purchase won't be in vain.
Old March 3rd, 2022, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Sendit in for a good quality rebuild and enjoy it formany miles
Oh I'm definitely gonna hang on to the original carburetor and once my financial situation improves down the road, I'll have it rebuilt and put it back on the van. I've heard a lot of different comments about the Rochester Quadrajet, some call it quadrajunk or quadrabog, but there are some very reputable sites that say once tuned properly, they are awesome carburetors. Unfortunately mine doesn't stand a chance of getting tuned in properly until it gets major overhaul.