Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Chevy 350 distributors

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2022, 9:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy 350 distributors

Have a distributor that don't have a nipple on the advance timing. Can I convert current distributor to use the vacuum port or do I need different distributor with vacuum port?
Old September 24th, 2022, 3:26 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Orangesonic
Have a distributor that don't have a nipple on the advance timing. Can I convert current distributor to use the vacuum port or do I need different distributor with vacuum port?
You'll have to change your distributor. All you have now is the centrifugal timing alone. Having vacuum advance will almost certainly give you more HP and better gas mileage. Might be able to find a good one at a scrapyard. What year is your Chevrolet? Most came with vacuum advance from the factory.

You'll need to make sure the vacuum diaphragm isn't leaking, as they do wear out. That's simple, as if you suck on the vacuum port, it shouldn't allow you to have any air coming through. Changing out the vacuum advance diaphragm is cheap and easy to do, however.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; September 24th, 2022 at 3:36 AM.