Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Chevy 396 help

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2013, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy 396 help

First time posting on a forum sorry if I did it wrong.....
I need some advice on a BBC 396. My cousins picked up a 1971 El Co with a 396 that ran well but had a bad body. After letting the youngest one take it out the next day, it started to have problems. The car would die randomly when coming to a stop, not sputter but just die and it has no oil pressure and ticks badly at idle. I set the valves but it still ticks (probably because of the no oil pressure at idle) and swapped a carburetor off a 1971 Cutlass that runs great to see if the car stopped dying when I stopped. The car still dies 80% of the time when I come to a stop. The gauge reads 0 PSI it idle but 35 PSI warm when I bring up the RPMs and the ticking also stops so I don’t think it’s the gauge or the that oil pick up came off in the oil pan. I worry most that he beat the crap out of the engine when he took it out and it is an internal engine problem. Any help would be great, thanks.

Last edited by Maxreilly; November 4th, 2013 at 8:54 PM.