General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Chevy equinox front end, need some diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2017 | 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy equinox front end, need some diagnosis

Hey all, 2007 chevy equinox
I was stuck in mud at a local boat launch here in Minnesota, and I was getting pushed out, while I was in reverse at a good rmp, I got unstuck, and I had my wheel all the way turned towards driver side, and I hit a pot hole with my drivers side tire and all of a sudden, the steering wheel went limp and now it just clicks as I rev the car in reverse, drive etc. I can start the car and put it Inot all gears, except all I get is a grinding, alot like a geAR when it's not connecting with its counterpart. I'm looking for some help on diagnosis
Old July 4th, 2017 | 8:07 AM
Super Moderator

typically...when people spin the tires and then one tire catches...its strips the differential side gears. if the axles are not turning at this point...its probably trans tear down time. Expensive lesson to learn.

You cannot fix this yourself...you need a professional. price it out...it may be time to walk away from it.
Old July 6th, 2017 | 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default Second opinions are priceless

Well I'm glad I actually spoke to a professional and didn't take some guys advice on here. Your reply to my question was extremely inaccurate. It was the half shaft, I replaced it on my own and I didn't need to "walk away" from my vehcile that only has 89,000 miles on it. I'd suggest if your going ro give you two cents on people's posts, be a little more optimistic and before you narrow it down to "rebuilding" a transmission, explore other options. Thanks lil techy
Old July 6th, 2017 | 7:20 PM
Super Moderator

glad it worked out.
This is internet diagnosis...I can't see it...only going on what your description is...your there, I'm not.

feel free to take over, answer some posts, and do better.

Last edited by tech2; July 6th, 2017 at 7:35 PM.
Old July 6th, 2017 | 7:40 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Jesse Grimley
Well I'm glad I actually spoke to a professional and didn't take some guys advice on here. Your reply to my question was extremely inaccurate. It was the half shaft, I replaced it on my own and I didn't need to "walk away" from my vehcile that only has 89,000 miles on it. I'd suggest if your going ro give you two cents on people's posts, be a little more optimistic and before you narrow it down to "rebuilding" a transmission, explore other options. Thanks lil techy
Tech2 did subtly suggest that you to look at your axles: "If the axles are not turning at this point..." so they weren't entirely wrong. I probably would've suggested looking at the CV halfshalfs first had I seen your thread sooner. However, I agree with Tech2 that the scenario you described often causes the differential to fail with any FWD vehicle - not just the Equinox. Nonetheless, I'm glad it was a cheap fix.

The 2007-2009 Equinox FWD with the 3.4L engine and 5-speed Aisin transmission is by far the most reliable of all the Equinox variants so it should give you many miles of service as long as you maintain it. We have had ours since October 2008 and it now has over 163,000 miles on it. Aside from regular maintenance, I've only needed to replace the rear wiper motor and EGR valve - both of which were replaced over 5 years ago.
Old July 6th, 2017 | 7:57 PM
Super Moderator

I said "typically"....and proposed the scenario that if it was the case...what the result would be. No way did i say it was the only possible result.