Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

chevy impala cooling fan issue

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2016, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chevy impala cooling fan issue

Hey I have a 2009 chevy impala...I started to have issues with the car over heating when I noticed that my fans were not operating... I changed out the fuses...which there are three relay ones and two outer pink fuses...I just replaced the coolant sensor on the left side of the engine and no luck with the fans Turing on....I went to auto zone for code and it stated the wiring harness....need help anyone thanks
Old June 2nd, 2016, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem. I have you gotten a solution yet?
Old June 3rd, 2016, 5:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't tell you exactly how to do this, but...
Put a Jumper across your Coolant Sensor, and trace the voltage with a Volt-Meter.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

Pictures? cause I have no idea what that means lol
Old June 3rd, 2016, 9:28 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by D3hero92
Hey I have a 2009 chevy impala...I started to have issues with the car over heating when I noticed that my fans were not operating... I changed out the fuses...which there are three relay ones and two outer pink fuses...I just replaced the coolant sensor on the left side of the engine and no luck with the fans Turing on....I went to auto zone for code and it stated the wiring harness....need help anyone thanks
Originally Posted by Q08SS
I have the same problem. I have you gotten a solution yet?
Hey Q08SS and D3hero92,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern with your vehicles. If you are interested in visiting a Chevrolet dealership to address this, feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to help!

Best,

Cristina
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 3rd, 2016, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry, that process is what one calls Electrical/Tracing, and I just don't have any resource to let you know how that's done.

What it amounts to is using a Volt Meter to verify the electrical path from the fuse to the Fan. You can do this when the car is cold, by using a jumper across the temp sensor. Just turn the ign on, and touch the fuse, wire and path to the Fan.
Somewhere you're going to NOT get any voltage, and that's the problem.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Yea I've put a test light on the fan wire and it did nothing. But are you saying put it on the coolant sensor? I don't know where that's located
Old June 3rd, 2016, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

I presumed that you replaced the sensor, given that you said that in your first post. But, you do need to know where it's at. Return to who put it in for you, and have them point it out. Then just put a jumper wire (a wire with two clips on the ends) between the two terminals, where the flow of electricity will not be impeded.

Sounds like you were moving in the right direction...
Test the fuse, then move...
to the sensor, then put the jumper on, then...
move to the Fan.

You should have/see voltage (12vdc) at each point.
If you do not, you have found the interruption and need to address that point.
Once you do, and turn your ign on again, when you install the jumper, the fan should run.
Old June 4th, 2016, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cooling fan issue

Originally Posted by Q08SS
Pictures? cause I have no idea what that means lol
Wheeewwwww it like 114 here in Phoenix. ..but any hoot I solved the problem. .went to auto zone got a print off of related issues....it wasn't the key to solve my problem....I had a blown fuse....the fuse controle the cut on and off of fan...bought 6.00 test light and I solved my own problem....auto zone wanted me replace all kind of crap...good luck
Old June 5th, 2016, 9:19 AM
CF Beginner

Yea I ended up tracing my wiring like swhouston said. I took the fan fuses out of the fuse box under the hood and turned my car on with the a/c blowing and put the test light on and I was getting good power to it so it had to be the wiring running from the fuse box. I unscrewed the bolt holding the wiring and seen that the wire for my a/c fan was burnt out. So I ran a runner (wire from the fuse box where the originally wire was) to the fan and that was it. Fan a new wire back to the fan and it was solved Attachment 9185Attachment 9184