Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Chevy Power-train Advice

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2014, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Power-train Advice

I have a chance to get my hands on a 1959 Chevy Suburban Carryall. It has been sitting for 20 years. It's all original, stocked with 265ci V8. I have no idea as to the shape of the rest of the powertrain.I own a small furniture restoration company. I'm a novice mechanic who likes to tinker around and I am hoping to take this on as my first rebuild.

I am hoping to create a daily driver out of this rig. It needs to be simple and dependable. Upgrades will likely include a new powertrain, disc brakes, power-steering. The 59 frame is in solid shape, I am not really interested in a swap (unless there is a really good/easy swap). Im thinking re-power with upgrades. Fuel efficiency and dependability will be more important that performance. I will likely be towing light trailers w/ furniture.

My questions to you Chevy gurus:
1. based on what i intend to use this rig for (driving around picking up old furniture), what would you re-power this rig with?
2. is there a more modern powertrain that is a bolt in or minor mods?
3. what kind of donor vehicles should i keep my eye out for.

Thank you in advance for you advice and opinions.
Old January 25th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings Saint, welcome to the Forum.

In response to all three of your questions...
Leave it in as Original condition as possible !

The 265 was a good economical engine, and if it hasn't been run in a long time, you might consider using some penetrant in the cylinders, to assure that the rings are free. Beyond that, fresh Fluids, Hoses, Belts and a Tuneup will put this old girl back on the road as reliably as ever.

A good find, good luck, just sit back and watch her value escalate. :wink:
Old January 25th, 2014, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks SW Houston.

I agree with you. Plan A should be to try to bring her back to life. A couple hundred bucks should answer that question.
Old January 25th, 2014, 1:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Thesaint
Thanks SW Houston. I agree with you. Plan A should be to try to bring her back to life. A couple hundred bucks should answer that question.
There's no way to be sure but...
Even a fair restoration keeping with as original parts as possible, may render you with sufficient remuneration upon a sale/auction, to almost buy you a new Suburban... well, maybe one that's a couple years old anyway.
Old January 30th, 2014, 11:04 AM
CF Active Member

Personally I would try and keep the vehicle as original as possible. There is nothing like a classic vehicle that has been taken care of. Get it up and running then evaluate the vehicle and see if it is worth the investment.