Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Complete loss of electrical power

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2010, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete loss of electrical power

Hi guys, CF rookie. 02 Tahoe LS 4WD, 4.8. Completely stock. I was driving last night, no probs. Stopped at a friends for an hour, started truck, wouldn't stay running without feathering the gas. Would die at idle speed. Drove about half mile, completely died. Dash lights flashed once, then died. No power at all. I turn the ignition on, everything dead. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old August 29th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Haggis,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums. Well, you're only a rookie till you've made your second post.

The first thing which comes to mind is a bad alternator. Call around, most large parts stores test them for free.

You should consider replacing the primary cables and ground wires at this point. They tend to eat up Batteries, Starters, and Alternators as they get worse and worse.
Old August 29th, 2010, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by therewolf
Hi Haggis,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums. Well, you're only a rookie till you've made your second post.

The first thing which comes to mind is a bad alternator. Call around, most large parts stores test them for free.

You should consider replacing the primary cables and ground wires at this point. They tend to eat up Batteries, Starters, and Alternators as they get worse and worse.
Ok, there's my starting point. Thank you!