Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

could i use roller rockers???

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2010, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could i use roller rockers???

i am building a sbc up for my truck and i was wondering if i could use roller rockers with my setup. i have triple hump vortec heads with comp cams beehive springs. for my cam i have a comp cams ***** thumpr cam(Intake/Exhaust Lift: .489/.476). if u need any more info in order to answer the question just let me know. thanks
Old June 2nd, 2010, 9:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yes. there are roller tip rockers that can take the place of stock, steel rockers without the need for roller lifters or roller cam. make sure you specify that your motor is not full roller when ordering/purchasing. makes a difference.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 5:25 PM
CF Active Member

They have to be self aligning (unless you are using guide plates) and also have to be narrow body type to clear the center bolt valve covers, just tell the sales rep that you are using vortec heads when you order. Also is the beehive spring and retainer setup you have giving the extra clearance you need for that cam? and do they fit the vortec heads? Im sure you have heard of the clearance issue and large valve guides that require either machining or beehive style springs. Also i forgot to say that you can use a full roller rocker (roller tip and fullcrom) with your flat tappet cam, its recomended that you use screw in studs instead of the factor pressed in studs though.

Last edited by 72c10gunn; June 3rd, 2010 at 5:31 PM.
Old June 4th, 2010, 7:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 72c10gunn
They have to be self aligning (unless you are using guide plates) and also have to be narrow body type to clear the center bolt valve covers, just tell the sales rep that you are using vortec heads when you order. Also is the beehive spring and retainer setup you have giving the extra clearance you need for that cam? and do they fit the vortec heads? Im sure you have heard of the clearance issue and large valve guides that require either machining or beehive style springs. Also i forgot to say that you can use a full roller rocker (roller tip and fullcrom) with your flat tappet cam, its recomended that you use screw in studs instead of the factor pressed in studs though.
X2 from me.Great post man.Even through you have taken these steps,you should still check your clearances and for coil bind.
Old June 8th, 2010, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

I found this sbc build in an issue of hot rod magazine. It's called their "budget 350 build" and the head and cam combo they used was in the phase 2 article. The engine ran and made somewhere around 425 hp so the head/cam/valve spring combo must be alright. And thanks a lot for the rocker info! It'll come in handy when I get some more money! Lol