Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Diagnostic fee

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2022, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnostic fee

my 2020 Chev Tahoe was purchased used w/ approx 40k miles. It was a CPO. My two issues are this.
1. a notice popped up on the gauge cluster with a 4x4 trans issue. I also received an email form Onstar. However, when I went to the dealership they told me they would need to charge me for diagnostics and that it may or may not be covered. I was told the Onstar email is generic and to not worry about it. I tried to explain that I didn't just walk in the door stating I "think" something is wrong. I contacted the dealer because of the email produced from Onstar by Chev stating I needed to bring the car in within 7 days.

2. The additional issue w/ no likely fix is that the CPO was NOT done completely. Little stuff like windshield wipers. interior and exterior cleaning. I know in the grand scheme of things windshield wipers and detail won't kill me. My point is that if they didn't do these items that were checked off the list how many more did they miss or falsely state was completed.

I know going against the giant will most likely result in added frustration, just trying a hail marry here.
Old January 4th, 2022, 9:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

do you have any warranty outside of powertrain for a cpo vehicle? How long and # miles after purchase did the cluster message occur and what exactly was the message. 4x4 and trans being separate systems?

as far as the cleaning...that needed to be addressed b4 you took possession of the car. the wipers soon after. Point being the tech who inspect the car can't foresee future issues. If something occurs soon after purchase...i can see it being ignored or missed. Months later....it most likely was working properly when inspected.

if you think the inspection was unsatisfactory, bring this up to the dealer and have them address each item...but you must have proof....ie worn parts, leaks, dirty fluid. You can say the wipers are worn and the car is not clean enough so entire the inspection is invalid.

Last edited by tech2; January 4th, 2022 at 10:09 PM.
Old January 5th, 2022, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

The gauge cluster display says "Service" at the top then "4WD" in the middle and "dismiss" at the bottom.
I get what you're saying about the detail and wipers. I can eat the cost of a detail and have already replaced wipers. MY point being if they take short cuts on little minor stuff whos to say the entire inspection wasn't done in the same fashion.
I also understand it's not anyone's fault the issue is now showing up. MY issue and I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear is this issue is coming from the vehicle as well as an email from Onstar. So when I'm told I would be charged a diagnostic fee regardless of it being a CPO with 58k miles.

It would be completely different and understandable if I came in and said my car is making a noise when I drive over x MPH. In this example I have no idea, nor does the service professional. But when I come in with a CPO under warranty and the one and only reason I'm at the service counter is that

my vehicle notified me multiple times with this issue.
Old January 6th, 2022, 8:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the service writer did the appropriate thing. If you do not have bumper to bumper warranty, the at fault item may not be covered under powertrain. When you like to be notified this is the situation; before or after they do the diagnostic? If its after and you don't have coverage, you are paying.
Old January 6th, 2022, 2:16 PM
CF Beginner

So I ran the Tahoe over to my local guy to have him read the computer. I've attached a screenshot with the error code.

Old May 16th, 2022, 3:39 AM
CF Beginner

I don't know why you facing the error. I have never faced that issue before in my Chev Tahoe. I think you should take your car to the car mechanic who will solve your problem. I can only help you by sharing this https://www.topessaywriting.org/samples/american-dream website with you in which you can read essay samples and you don't have to pay anything to read them.

Last edited by JoannRobinson; May 22nd, 2022 at 6:51 AM.