Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Distributor rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2020, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor rebuild.

Hey guys I got 1985 Chevy small block and get lack of power on it.Tested my distributor today and it's basically not passing any tests I mean everything on it defective including probably ignition module too ,I can't test it with ohm meater according to rep.manual. so I ordered parts as on pics to replace them and make it work better, I ordered everything except VACUUM ADVANCE which is does not work after some testing So I just wondering, is it worth spending almost 200$ rebuild distributor when I not gonna rebuild vacuum sustem. The hoses on vac.system replaced but all valves are old and probably don't work real good. The rest of the part's on ignition sustem brand new or work just fine.

Old June 14th, 2020, 8:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmitriy Ch.
Hey guys I got 1985 Chevy small block and get lack of power on it.Tested my distributor today and it's basically not passing any tests I mean everything on it defective including probably ignition module too ,I can't test it with ohm meater according to rep.manual. so I ordered parts as on pics to replace them and make it work better, I ordered everything except VACUUM ADVANCE which is does not work after some testing So I just wondering, is it worth spending almost 200$ rebuild distributor when I not gonna rebuild vacuum sustem. The hoses on vac.system replaced but all valves are old and probably don't work real good. The rest of the part's on ignition sustem brand new or work just fine.

My opinion, replace it.
The following users liked this post:
Dmitriy Ch. (June 14th, 2020)
Old June 14th, 2020, 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
My opinion, replace it.
Will I get more power?
Old June 14th, 2020, 8:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmitriy Ch.
Will I get more power?
No. You have an electronic spark control. Looking for more power, it won't happen with a distributor.
Old June 14th, 2020, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

No. You have an electronic spark control. Looking for more power, it won't happen with a distributor.
I would say I will skip it then. It's going.,so I will keep going like this.
Old June 14th, 2020, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

REMEMBER Salvage Yards.... There is a dozen of the distributors at the salvage yards here in Hill Country Salvage marble falls tx. Many salvage yards will pull the part and ship it for 80 bucks about that for that part. As for the vacuum advance and pcv valve and check valves throw some wd40 on em and then blow them out with a soft air compressor

Dont Forget your DIalectric grease on the Module or you will be where you are again....

I m going back out to fish my distributor torque bolt out of the crack in my intake manifold ... it went down the hole ......
Old June 14th, 2020, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kr4kk13
REMEMBER Salvage Yards.... There is a dozen of the distributors at the salvage yards here in Hill Country Salvage marble falls tx. Many salvage yards will pull the part and ship it for 80 bucks about that for that part. As for the vacuum advance and pcv valve and check valves throw some wd40 on em and then blow them out with a soft air compressor

Dont Forget your DIalectric grease on the Module or you will be where you are again....

I m going back out to fish my distributor torque bolt out of the crack in my intake manifold ... it went down the hole ......
good luck with that
Old June 16th, 2020, 1:18 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Yeah, I don't get it. Back in the day, we'd advance the distributor until the engine knocked, then back it down some. It just doesn't work that way with modern motors with knock control systems, ECM's and ICM's these days.
Old June 16th, 2020, 6:32 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

You can get a new distributor for much less than $200 including the parts that you have listed including the vacuum advance. That would have been the way to go. Check Rockauto.com and other parts sellers online.
Old June 16th, 2020, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
You can get a new distributor for much less than $200 including the parts that you have listed including the vacuum advance. That would have been the way to go. Check Rockauto.com and other parts sellers online.
Hey Thanks for advice they really have everything much less then Napa including shipping.

Quick Reply: Distributor rebuild.